Author Topic: Having Trouble Updating Definitions Today  (Read 10271 times)

AtlantaGal

Having Trouble Updating Definitions Today
« on: May 20, 2011, 02:46:52 PM »
I keep getting 3S, 4S, etc. messages when trying to update definitions today. So I'm stuck at 110519-2. I've tried both repair and update from the control panel. I've restarted and rebooted several different times.  It just won't update.  Any ideas?

Offline bruce_b

Re: Having Trouble Updating Definitions Today
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »
I had the same issue on Wed May 18 .. it updated ok on Thur May 19 and today May 20
Must be a server issue.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

AtlantaGal

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
That's what I was wondering because I've had this issue a few times before over the years I've been using Avast. It usually ends up updating okay on a restart before they day is over. I really just wanted some confirmation that it wasn't an issue on my end and something I could fix.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »
As Avast! uses many update servers, it can be ( in case of a problem with one of those update servers )  difficult to get conformation as most other users update from other update servers as you do :)

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:34:52 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
You can try the following:

1. Manually update.

2. Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

3. Wait for the next update to be released.

4. Double check your Settings for updates:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

5. Do you have the latest version of Avast?  6.0.1125

See if any of the above fixes your problems.  Thank you.

AtlantaGal

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 01:47:23 AM »
Well it still hasn't updated and is giving the same errors.  Computer has been both restarted and completely reboted 1x each since this morning's message.

#1 & #2 have been tried several times. When I use the control panel, the error I get is a MS error saying Avast Setup encountered a problem and needs to close.

#3 has happened already today - Didn't update

I did change the proxy setting from IE to Direct Connection - Didn't help.

Yes, it's the latest version released about a week or so ago I believe.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 02:01:56 AM by AtlantaGal »

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
I then suggest an Avast uninstall and clean install:

1. Save a copy of Avast for the product you need and save it to your HDD (if not already done): http://www.avast.com/download-software
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast one at a time and reboot in between.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions and reset your settings.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.  Thank you.

AtlantaGal

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »
A reinstall is something I've had to do 4x in the last 2 months for other reasons (re: the program not starting no matter what). No fresh installs with this latest release have been done though.

The current issue with the definitions simply not updating has always corrected itself in less than a day when it's happened before. So I would really like to know what the problem is.

I find it odd that I had absolutely no issues for years with Avast until they started getting all fancy with the user interface.  I began having trouble on and off since June of last year immediately following a Flash update.

Thing that bothers me is I shouldn't have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the program for it to work properly. I wish I could get better help than "do a reinstall."  I'm sure a reinstall will at least temporarily fix the problem. However, it would be nice to know what is causing the problem and fix that rather than reinstalling so often.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:26:57 AM by AtlantaGal »

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
When you are doing a Flash update, are you using the Flash Uninstaller first to remove Flash, then rebooting, then installing the new version, then rebooting again?  

I don't know if you've been asked this before:

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?  Sometimes remnants of software can cause conflict with security software.

You can also invoke a mini-dump file for Avast to analyze to check out your issue:

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely giving us the name of your file in this thread: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread.

If you are having difficulty with dump file:
-   Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder, so you won't be able to see it once uploaded.

Or

-   Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this:

and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:52:02 AM by SafeSurf »

AtlantaGal

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
Other than Malwarebytes, I don't use anything else. No firewall. No trial versions of anything. Other than XP and Office updates, I really don't install much of anything.

When Flash updates, it's an adobe popup and I just let it install or tell it to ask me later if I am busy. I don't manually do anything with Flash.

AtlantaGal

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »
So I've now uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled. The program won't update due to "invalid signature."  I tried from control panel as well and the message just says an error was encountered.

What gives?

Now I'm stuck on 5/10 definitions. Worse than before.

AtlantaGal

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
I downloaded Avast again.

I uninstalled it from control panel again.

I used the uninstaller and took out ver 6, 5 and 4 in safe mode, in that order with auto restart and then system reboot between each.

Cleared temporary internet files.

Installed Avast latest version.

The definitions still won't update. The error from the interface says invalid signature. The error from update via control panel says: there was an error when changing the system configuration.

Can anyone please help me?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:03:45 PM by AtlantaGal »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
The definitions still won't update. The error from the interface says invalid signature. The error from update via control panel says: there was an error when changing the system configuration.

Can anyone please help me?

Download and execute this: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/vpsupd.exe
Solved..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

AtlantaGal

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
I'm downloading. What is it?  And do I execute it in anything other than Windows?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
I'm downloading. What is it?  And do I execute it in anything other than Windows?

It's the full signature update.
Just double click it, when downloaded.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0