Author Topic: WebRep issues (minor)  (Read 2896 times)

hailstorm

WebRep issues (minor)
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:41:24 AM »
WebRep is a site rating tool found in Avast Internet Security.

Using Avast version 6.0.1125.

1) WebRep is UGLY in IE9. It is displayed as a separate bar below the tab. Is there any way to incorporate it neatly (eg. beside the back/forward buttons) into the IE9 UI? Also, unlike Chrome and Firefox, the WebRep icon is greyed out in IE9.

2) Inconsistent implementation of the WebRep plugin. In Chrome, you can either click the WebRep icon, or right-click it to open a context menu. In Firefox, right-clicking will not show the same context menu.

3) No support for Opera?

4) No option to show only poorly rated/risky sites. It's a bit annoying to have green WebRep bars all over a Google search result.

My browsers:

Chrome 13.0.767.1
Firefox 4.01
IE9
Opera 11.11

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: WebRep issues (minor)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:16:43 AM »
1. The webrep can do nothing in how IE handles toolbars, if you don't have at least one toolbar enabled then it won't display.

I have IE9 (don't use it that often) on my other system win7 netbook, but I believe that was working last time I used IE9. However my win7 and IE9 are 32bit versions. I don't know if you are using the 64bit version of IE9 as I think that may well be an issue, though I can't recall where I saw that comment.

2. I don't use Chrome so I can't comment on that, but there doesn't appear to be a right click menu on the webrep page icon in Firefox 4. It just displays the standard toolbar options.

3. No, currently no Opera support.

4. I don't know any other similar rep tools that are selective, WOT shows for all categories. Currently there are no user settings for the webrep other than installed or uninstalled.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

harryjamesuk

Re: WebRep issues (minor)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
I Use Google Chrome And WebRep And Oh I Know How You Feel.

I Just Don't Know Which Is The Right Bar To Look At And Which Websites Are Safe And Which Ones Are Not!

It's Terrible, Hope It Gets Fixed.