Author Topic: Where did sandbox come from  (Read 9930 times)

tultalk

Where did sandbox come from
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
Hi:

I have an app running on client machine. Yesterday I got a call that all the stuff they had put in the database over the last few days is missing.

I went to clients office today and when I started the app up came this dialog warning me about the app and talking about sand box. I selected run normally from the drop down and the app proceeded to open. The app GUI was surrounded by a bright red line. 
Never saw this before. I asked the client about the dialog and they said they didn't know what it was and clicked Ok thus running in the sandbox and discarding all their input. I was shocked.

I have never seen anything like this and whoever designed it to function like this deserves the stupid programmer award.
After disabling this feature, I came back to my office and check the versions of Avast on my 2 other computers. Neither has this option. Where did it come from and on what version?

Did it ever occur to you to not install it in an enabled condition and pop up a dialog explaining what it is and asking if the user wants this running??

I spent 4 hours with the client inputting the data that was lost to this stupid improvement.

Are you using Chines programmers?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Where did sandbox come from
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:17:22 PM »
I guess they missed the thick red edge around the sandboxed programs...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »
Well, it seems that your client doen't read pop up dialogs ::)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

DBone

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »
Sounds like the OP needs to do a better job of learning and understanding the software he is installing on his clients machines, and then, the OP needs to do a better job of explaining to his clients how to use the software.

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »
I selected run normally from the drop down and the app proceeded to open. The app GUI was surrounded by a bright red line.

This is not possible unless the client told it to run sandboxed and then,and only then, also told avast to remember the answer. (But, this is not possible either since the option to remember is greyed out if you choose to run the app sandboxed) If you click on run normally, there will be no red border around the apps gui and the program will function fully.

The auto sandboxing was added in version 6.0.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:39:02 PM by Dch48 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 01:15:11 AM »
This link will give you (OP) more information about the Sandbox feature so that you can educate yourself and your clients: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=787&nav=0,2.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 01:51:24 AM »
Well, I am not eager to help the OP, because he is not only insulting Petr as the Sandbox developer, but Chinese people as well :(

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 02:00:19 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Jack 1000

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:29:49 AM »
Well, I am not eager to help the OP, because he is not only insulting Petr as the Sandbox developer, but Chinese people as well :(

Greetz, Red.

I agree Red,

There was such anger in his post and he had only one post, so I was concerned he might be a troll.  The Sandbox is a wonderful feature!  It provides protection for programs that might be suspicious, but have not yet been confirmed as viruses.  Sandboxing, in Avast 6, allows the users to either prompt (default), auto-run, or disable working with files of this nature.  When sandboxed, the system and your identity cannot be harmed.  When you close the program, it "disappears" from the sandbox and system, like it was never there.  This is part of Avast's virtualized environment.  A barrier that protects you the user, and your files.

Jack

Dch48

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:48:17 AM »
Not to mention that the example he gives can not possibly happen in the first place.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Where did sandbox come from
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »
Then perhaps we should no longer respond in this thread and close it since the OP has not returned.

Jack 1000

[RESOLVED] Re: Where did sandbox come from
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »
Then perhaps we should no longer respond in this thread and close it since the OP has not returned.

I agree!

Jack
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:06:26 PM by Jack 1000 »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
In my opinion, autosandbox warning box is shown for a lot of applications very often and I think heuristic is too strict. Unfortunately, vlk & other viruslab guys do this on purpose (marketing). I'd like to see autosnx box only when avast is really not sure about the application which is going to be executed. I'm sure, most our avast free users (where autosnx feature is included) don't have a clue what's the sandbox and how it works. They just need silent antivirus, running in background and without additional configuration - showing annoying popups don't really help.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
Interesting. I'm not seeing all that much popups. So far the only problematic stuff were Adobe Flash based games on Steam (like Machinarium or Windosill). Those usually trigger Auto Sandbox dialog. But if you think of it, Flash content running in browser and executed through Steam. I'd be suspicious as well.
But certainly this requires refinement over time to make less popups when not needed like you pk suggested.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »
I don't see the autosandbox that frequently on my two systems Desktop XP Pro and netbook win7.

I have downloaded lots of small applications/tools, etc. and or updates and running them on the XP Pro system seems to bring up more autosandbox pop-ups than the win7 netbook.

This is strange as frequently I just copy the app/tool onto a USB stick and install it on the win7 netbook from the USB. I would have thought that in doing it this way I would get more autosandbox pop-ups rather than less.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
Unfortunately, vlk & other viruslab guys do this on purpose (marketing).

Oh oh oh... :-\

Interesting. I'm not seeing all that much popups.

+1
Could be that D+ is faster here, though..!?? ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0