Author Topic: Did an Avast Update Cause A Message From Windows Software Protection?  (Read 5339 times)

stokely

Hello,
I downloaded the new version yesterday and after restarting my computer I have run into a problem! now my computer wont let me into my control panel or even other things like solitaire, snipping tool etc. Also i have new updates from windows but it wont let me right click them but will let me right click everything else on the taskbar and I'm getting a message from windows software protection keeps coming up on the screen  Shocked saying

An unauthorized change was made to windows

You will no longer receive notifications, including those about your license or activation. Use the link below to find out how to fix your system.
Error 0xC004D401
Description:
the security processor reported a system mismatch error.

Learn more online

anyone know whats happend?
thank you
 Huh

Daris

Hi Stokely welcome to the Forum

1 Which Avast did you download? AIS, Avast free, or Avast Pro?
  2 Are you on XP Vista or Win7? which OS?
  3 What security software are you using alongside Avast? Including firewall, anti spyware etc.
  4 what was your previous antivirus?
  5 Do you have Malwarebytes on demand scanner installed?

SafeSurf

To clarify the post above (#3) regarding security software:

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?  Remnants can cause conflicts with other security software.

Was your machine acting normally prior to this event?

stokely

hi thanks.

I downloaded the avast free update
I have windows vista
I have also malwarebytes and windows defender
i did have clamwin for a while but used the unistaller tool and I think I had avast free last as well after using system restore last year.
yes it was acting normal the night before this happend
thanks for any help  :)

also this happend last night and now this morning (last hour) it has not come up at all and I can get into the control panel again  ??? so now I'm really confused about it

SafeSurf

1. Make sure your Avast virus definitions are up to date and run a Quick scan.  Any infection put into the Virus Chest.

2.  Update MBAM (Malwarebytes) and run a Quick Scan.  Any infection put into quarantine (do NOT delete).

Report back on your results.  Thanks.

stokely

hey thanks, i updated and scanned but nothing was found

SafeSurf

That is good news on the scanner. 
1. Can you please cut and paste the MBAM log?

2. I know you said that you uninstalled ClamWin, but please check the following on your machine for remnants:

Folders to delete manually (presuming you installed for all users):

c:\program files\clamwin
c:\documents and settings\<your username>\Application Data\.clamwin
c:\documents and settings\All Users\.clamwin

Then locate and delete "ClamWin" entry from this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If anything above is found, delete, then reboot your machine.

3.  Can you answer the other information I posted in my first post regarding what other security software you currently use and in the past, including firewall and other security software (on-demand and resident)?  Thank you.

4. Please try an Avast Repair:

- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let me know if any of the above fixes your problem.  Thank you.

stokely

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6633

Windows 6.0.6000
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.17037

21/05/2011 11:14:11
mbam-log-2011-05-21 (11-14-11).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 152746
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

2. none of the clamwin folders were found on here, when you say "locate and delete "ClamWin" entry from this registry key" how exactly do i do that  ??? is that the same as searching the other ones  :-[,  sorry, i suck with technology lol

3. i have avast! free antivirus
windows firewall
windows defender
malwarebytes' anti malware
the past ones were clamwin and i think i may of had AVG when i first got this laptop 4 years ago

4. i used the Repair function on it and it said it was successfully updated

nothings coming up on on my computer i hope its fixed  :) thank you for all your help

SafeSurf

2. none of the clamwin folders were found on here, when you say "locate and delete "ClamWin" entry from this registry key" how exactly do i do that  ??? is that the same as searching the other ones
This is best done in Safe Mode > Advanced Search with Hidden Files checked so you can see them.

Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.17037
You really should update to IE 8 for security reasons.  This presents a huge security hole!  :o

windows defender
the past ones were clamwin and i think i may of had AVG when i first got this laptop
Are you using Vista?  You really do not need to run Windows Defender (WD) as resident (on all the time) as long as you have Avast, which is resident.  You can keep WD as on-demand and when you need it you will have to update the definitions, but it really is a memory hog.
You may want to run the AVG Uninstaller just to make sure AVG didn't leave remnants, as it has been known to do.  Here is the AVG Uninstaller Tool: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools, then reboot your machine.

4. i used the Repair function on it and it said it was successfully updated
You're referring to the Avast Repair?  Or Windows Repair?

If after doing the AVG Uninstaller and upgrading to IE8 does not help, then I suggest an uninstall and clean install of Avast:
1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:
http://www.avast.com/download-software – all products
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions of Avast one at a time and reboot in between each uninstall.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let me know if this fixes your problems.  Thanks.