Author Topic: ¿BackWeb deletion?  (Read 4967 times)

lovelyperson

¿BackWeb deletion?
« on: October 11, 2004, 05:38:30 PM »
 :) Hello,

Have read in one of your threads about 'BackWeb' being attached to Kodak software. Before reading this I had deleted the Software Updater of Kodak and have discovered there are, in 'regedit/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT', nine seperate entries of 'BackWeb' ... 'Client Script Helper/Client/File Access/File Replication etc etc

¿Are these safe to delete?

My concern is brought about by the fact that I have read that some of the 'BackWeb' entries contain necessary commands for OTHER programs and that the operating system depends on them.
I am not bothered too much about the Kodak Software, but thought it best to secure comments from people that have the experience with the Registry.

¿Basically, can I delete any Entry that reads 'BackWeb'etc....?

Your valuable time & help is appreciated.

Cheers  ;) lovelyperson

whocares

Re:¿BackWeb deletion?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 06:24:19 PM »
Hi,

I don't know if it's that easy..;
you should probably get info and decide for yourself with each occurence of backweb..

see for yourself:
some BACKWEB-entries are considered AdWare, some are just useless/unnecessary, but a select few maybe needed or helpful.
--> http://sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?submit=&filter=backweb
 ;)

"Basically", you shouldn't mess around with the registry, if you are not 111% sure what you are doing..

you might want to post a hijackthis-Log file here for diagnosis: http://tomcoyote.org/hjt

;)

techie101

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 09:25:11 PM »
lovelyperson,

It seems you have a "quick delete finger" and rely too much on the results of antispyware scans.

Lately in other forums, people are complaining about "bad things" happening after they "fix" errors reported by such programs as Spybot and Hijack This.

These programs only "indicate" possible malware but the final decision is up to you.  Many a system has bee ruined by blindly following the messages.

Whocares provides words of caution.....and they are wise.

lovelyperson

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:02:56 PM »
lovelyperson,

It seems you have a "quick delete finger" and rely too much on the results of antispyware scans.

These programs only "indicate" possible malware but the final decision is up to you.  Many a system has bee ruined by blindly following the messages.

Whocares provides words of caution.....and they are wise.

:) Techie101,

I certainly respect your comments along with 'Whocares'.

I would NEVER touch the 'regedit' side unless advised by more than one source of  'reliable' comment. As mentioned in another thread, I installed Avast on recommendation from other users that had become fed up with the hog and reliability concern of Norton. After reading other comments in Avast Forums I felt it best to enhance the protection in my system BEFORE infection, hence my installation.

The BackWeb items were spotted. and after I thought it advisable to ask your thoughts. I agree with the 'if it works don't touch it' theory but, in this current era I feel I must broaden my knowledge and understanding to be able, perhaps one day, to be able to pass on good advice like yourselves.

¿Re: the Hijack This logfile, was the suggestion that I put the actual post in this thread or into  Tom Coyote.?

Please be assured your advice and comments are digested by me.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers  :) lovelyperson

Gene Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 05:32:50 PM »
lovelyperson: When I installed my Logitech mouse I got the "backweb" by default. I decided the mouse did not need to call home (it was) on a regular basis so I disabled it. Bob installed the Logitech keyboard and decided to keep his "backweb" enabled. Neither of us have reported any problems. Some folks consider it spyware, some don't. The call appears to be yours. If you leave it enabled you may receive auto updates and possibly some advertising about your product and others they want you to buy. I disabled mine from the start screen not the register.

lovelyperson

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 06:24:58 PM »
 :)  I understand a lot more now having read all of the above replies.

Thanks to everyone.

Cheers  ;) lovelyperson