Author Topic: Full System Scan slower than usually  (Read 2032 times)

superepic

Full System Scan slower than usually
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:26:45 PM »
I'm getting 13MBPS when before I got over 100MBPS. This is with the latest version of avast as well.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Full System Scan slower than usually
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
There are many variables which could alter scan times. More info would be nice. What are you using for settings and what OS are you using and any other security software that is active. It's difficult if not impossible to know what is affecting your scan times. Please provide more info.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

superepic

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »
Windows XP Professional and I don't have any other security programs on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:50:28 AM »
I have never come close to 100Mbps scanning speed and I haven't got a large amount of or complex data. I recall it being around 30Mbps scan speed, but I have seen it slower than that.

So what type of hard disk have you got (SATA1, SATA2, SSD), how bigh a Cache memory, what format type (FAT32 or NTFS) how much data is on the drive and what is the make up of that data, mainly media files, very small files, etc. ?

Here is one that would have an impact, how fragmented is the drive and or have you recently defragged it ?
That could impact on the Persistent cache and slow your scan until you build up the persistent cache over a few scans.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:44:12 AM »
For what it's worth I my scans run at 93MB/sec. Of course I keep my HDD clean. :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.