Author Topic: spy ware questions  (Read 6828 times)

Valrie

spy ware questions
« on: June 16, 2003, 06:06:13 PM »
Could someone please explain to me how these programs can download themselves on a computer?
How is it they are allowed?
How can I allow the grandkids to surf sites like sesame street and barbie without having all those programs self download?
I have a firewall....Keno....yet everytime I turn around I notice it is not operating.  I have not removed it from the start up.  
I know this is a lot of questions however, I am trying to understand how this works and how to stop it.
Thanks
Sincerely,
Valrie

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:spy ware questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 07:17:08 PM »
What kind of Spyware do you mean? Spyware normaly comes around with some Freeware useing a  so called adware. Kazaa(not lite) uses it for example. It maybe is possible that it come with some activeX  scripts. SOmetimes Spybotsd and ad-aware identifies Cookies as spyware as well. But  it is "easy" to avoid this. The "only" thing is to know how it works and what kind of Browser you use.

Can you give us an example or  which Spyware to you mean exactly, who say that it is Spyware?
MfG Ralf

Valrie

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 03:32:28 AM »
clock sync
weather watch
gator
adtech
to name a few.
At first I wasn't sure how they were getting on the computer.  So I did the process of elimination the best way I knew how.
I cleaned my computer, removed any spy ware via the Lava-soft Ad ware 6 program.  I also cleaned all temp files.
Deleted history and removed anything from startup that should not be there.  I rebooted.
I then allowed the kids to surf the two sites I mentioned above.  While playing on both sites they were bombarded with pop up ads.  Doing which several times it said things like clock is now downloaded on your computer.  
I had the kids get off the computer and close out the sites completely.  I reopened internet explorer (6.0) and the homepage went to xuupiter and not my regular homepage.
I ran my lava-soft ad ware program and I had a lot of the same programs showing up that I had removed previously to the girls surfing.
I then went to google and put in each item.  Everyone of them came back with site after site saying they are spy-ware for the advertising industry.  Designed to keep track of where you go so they know what pop up ads and junk mail to send your way.  
I have been careful not to download anything off line like screen savers and such.  No games either.  Because I don't want my machine filled with these programs.
I run windows xp....
I hope this helps explain it better.  If not please ask me for better info.  I'll try.
Thank you
Sincerely
Valrie

Amerk_5

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 04:26:07 AM »
Valrie, go to this site http://www.wilderssecurity.net/index.html & install SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard. They should stop most if not all the spyware that you get. I have been running these two programs on my Win98SE machine for several months without any problems.

SpywareGuard runs in the background. SpywareBlaster only needs to be run to update the program & apply protection for the new items.

In SpywareBlaster, the list of files that you will see are NOT on your machine. It's a list of the files that SB will protect from after you run it.

For more specific questions about the programs you can talk to javacool here - http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=34

bsadowski

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 04:28:25 AM »
You can post this message at www.spywareinfo.com/forums  , and registration is free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 05:18:06 AM »
I´m using SpyBot and SpywareBlaster in a XP Pro system.
Everything works fine  8).
The best things in life are free.