Author Topic: Can't Run Full Scan: "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned"  (Read 6340 times)

HenryCan

Can't Run Full Scan: "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned"
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »
I've been having a serious problem for the last few days: whenever I try to run a Full Scan with Avast 6, it runs for a while, then stops. When I look at the results, the report says "Some files could not be scanned." The following messages appear below that:

c:\program files\avast software\avast\defs\11051000\algo.dll       Error: The System cannot find the path specified (3)
c:\program files\avast software\avast\defs\11051000\aswcmnbs.dll   Error: The System cannot find the path specified (3)
c:\program files\avast software\avast\defs\11051000\aswcmnis.dll   Error: The System cannot find the path specified (3)
c:\program files\avast software\avast\defs\11051000\aswcmnos.dll   Error: The System cannot find the path specified (3)
c:\program files\avast software\avast\defs\11051000\aswengin.dll   Error: The System cannot find the path specified (3)
c:\program files\avast software\avast\defs\11051000\aswscan.dll    Error: The System cannot find the path specified (3)

It looks to me like Avast is having trouble finding its own modules, which seems very bizarre.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast today but got the same error when running the full scan after the reinstall. The Quick Scan works fine. I am running Avast 6.0.1125 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I had some kind of malware infestation the other day and did manage to run the full scan successfully a couple of times afterwards; it detected various problems and cleaned them up (or said it did). I'm just trying to run one final full scan to confirm that everything is fine now but the full scan keeps failing.

What's going on and how do I fix it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't Run Full Scan: "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
These are temporary file for virus definitions.
There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
You've got a virus definition update while scanning.
The best things in life are free.

HenryCan

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »
Really? That's EXCELLENT!

But may I suggest you change that report so that it is clear the scan had completed with no other problems? I had the impression that the scan had failed in mid-flight because of these modules not being found. It would also be very good if the report explained that the messages I got were NOT serious and were just an indication that an update had taken place during the scan and required no further action on my part.

I had the same result three consecutive times when I ran the full scan and thought my computer was well and truly messed up. If the report had been clearer to start with, I would have known that all was well the FIRST time I got that report. That would have saved me hours of retries on the scan and more stress than I like to think about....

I'm not trying to be negative here; I'd just like to see the report improved so no one else has to rerun scans that already (unclearly) indicated that all was well. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:02 PM »
avast chose the way of informing the users such kind of "disappeared files".
Other antivirus won't even say a word. You can include the messages of archive unpacking failure, disk access error, etc.
You can set the reports to include just the infected files and not the errors ;)
The best things in life are free.

catdogcord

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:28:37 PM »
I have had this problem for the last few quick scans;and,on a few full scans as well...one day it finds the paths the next day it goes stupid then a few days later it has no problem,then back to it can't find the paths again... wthell is going on here???
It ran fine on the first day of installation,then the errors started on the very next day! I had made no changes or did anything to my laptop to cause this!!!
Just checked my scan logs some run fine other I get the errors on.Please give a straightforward answer to this as I have read some forum posts and they don't do much to help,I just want to know what's wrong!!! I know how to fix it or can teach myself :P
here is an example of what the scan results report:C:/Documents and Settings... Error:The system can not find the path specified(3),
C:/ProgramData/Applicatation Data...Error:The directory name is invalid(267)
I get about 20 or so of the code (3) and 1 or 2 of the (267),it doesn't do this on every scan,just every few days it'll do it!
I tried to insert an image but all it shows is ...hope the foolish thing worked  :o

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:34:06 AM »
I have had this problem for the last few quick scans;and,on a few full scans as well...one day it finds the paths the next day it goes stupid then a few days later it has no problem,then back to it can't find the paths again... wthell is going on here???
It ran fine on the first day of installation,then the errors started on the very next day! I had made no changes or did anything to my laptop to cause this!!!
Just checked my scan logs some run fine other I get the errors on.Please give a straightforward answer to this as I have read some forum posts and they don't do much to help,I just want to know what's wrong!!! I know how to fix it or can teach myself :P
here is an example of what the scan results report:C:/Documents and Settings... Error:The system can not find the path specified(3),
C:/ProgramData/Applicatation Data...Error:The directory name is invalid(267)
I get about 20 or so of the code (3) and 1 or 2 of the (267),it doesn't do this on every scan,just every few days it'll do it!
I tried to insert an image but all it shows is ...hope the foolish thing worked  :o
This might help http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59026.msg497498#msg497498  Link is from April,2010.
If not I did a search of "error directory name is invalid 267". I found several but don't know which is relevant to you.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.