Author Topic: new look of the forum  (Read 13876 times)

Rick F

Re: new look of the forum
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »
I noticed that too.  Sometimes the forum forgets your settings.  I just had to change mine back so it's readable.

• Click on 'profile' near the top
  • Then on the left-hand side click 'Look and Layout Preferences'
  • Then to the right of "Current Theme", click 'change'
    ... I like the SMF Default Theme, but that's up to you
    • Then click 'save'

Thanks Rick
That's very helpful
What i am trying to achieve is a full with page when the Forum is opened.Or is that too much to ask?

My view of the forum is full width when viewed with either FF or IE, and I have my view set to "SMF Default Theme".  Don't know why yours would be different.

Here's a picture of what I see...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:25:21 PM by Rick F »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
You have to choose the AV6 evang one...(assuming you still want the orange theme...

rambo1940

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:01 PM »
I noticed that too.  Sometimes the forum forgets your settings.  I just had to change mine back so it's readable.

• Click on 'profile' near the top
  • Then on the left-hand side click 'Look and Layout Preferences'
  • Then to the right of "Current Theme", click 'change'
    ... I like the SMF Default Theme, but that's up to you
    • Then click 'save'

Thanks Rick
That's very helpful
What i am trying to achieve is a full with page when the Forum is opened.Or is that too much to ask?

My view of the forum is full width when viewed with either FF or IE, and I have my view set to "SMF Default Theme".  Don't know why yours would be different.

Here's a picture of what I see...

Yes it is full width when signed in.The screen shot you have taken is when you are signed in.
Log out,close forum then reopen and then tell me if it us full width,i think you will find it is not,
I would be most interested to know,
Thanks

Gargamel360

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
Well, of course if you log out, the forum is going to display the default, which has a fixed width now.  It can not remember what custom theme you wished to use if you do not log in.

Rick F

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 10:54:07 PM »
Why would you sign out?  Makes no sense to me.  I stay logged in all the time... otherwise it goes back to default.

Your choice however.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
The new look is nice ;D
I'm actually going to keep the default (thinner) layout.

rambo1940

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »
That could be the answer except that when i close the forum and then reopen it has returned to the default page
There must be a setting in Firefox somewhere that allows me to stay logged in.
No doubt will find it in due course,
Regards

SafeSurf

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 08:51:05 AM »
There must be a setting in Firefox somewhere that allows me to stay logged in.
No there is not.  It is not a FF issue.  The forum changes were made by Avast to fit in with the Avast logo style.  However when you log into the forum, you should be with your defined default settings.  If not, log out of the forum, clear your cache, then log back in.

rambo1940

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »
Please tell me how to clear the cache
Not something that i have come across before
Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »
I just had the standard setting,which i quite liked

If you want the old default theme back, choose AV5.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

rambo1940

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »
Please tell me how to clear the cache
Not something that i have come across before
Thanks

Problem sorted,thanks

ady4um

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »
As always when a GUI is changed, some users are happy, some not so much.

In recent days I noticed several changes in the forum look, apparently testing and/or answering to requests.

Some users mentioned low resolution problems, and some actually requested wider lines for 16:9 or 16:10 monitors.

Although changing the look/skin to some other alternative could satisfy the needs for frequent users, I wonder why the default forum skin can't be used "as before", in the sense of adapting itself to the adequate width.

For example, wider monitors can "read" shorter lines, as well as "low" resolutions monitors can. This is not valid in the opposite case.

I would like you (Avast forum maintainers) to consider to set the default skin so to be "adequate" for "most" users.

It may be useful to make a "wider monitor" skin, or something similar, for frequent users with such characteristics, leaving the default forum skin to be "readable" and "usable" for "most" users (lower AND higher resolution; or 4:3 AND 16:10 monitors).

Ideally, the skin should adapt itself according to the resolution, but I don't know if this is currently possible.

The current worst case presents itself with the current default being adequate "only" for wider monitors and higher resolutions, while the older monitors and lower resolutions can't even see the entire width of the writing box (where we write the messages).

About the "lines" of the board (where we see the list of topics), I've been seeing little changes during the last few days. I guess some users requested wider lines, and some others requested shorter ones.

I would like to request to find an intermediate (which I indeed have seen "intermittently"). The older width of the topic titles was probably "too short", and the current probably is "too wide" for "old" resolutions.

Once again, the principle should be IMO that the default skin should cover the wider range of users.

To be clear, when I say "the most users" or "the wider range of users", I do NOT mean that the default skin should be adequate for the "most frequent monitor's configurations/resolutions". What I mean is that it should cover "the most different cases" (most amount of users), which means having the minimum denominator covered.

For "specific" monitor configurations, there could be those special skins available, besides the DEFAULT forum skin.

Please find the way to dynamically adapt the default skin according to the monitor of each user, or make the default skin to cover "the broader or cases".

TIA.

DarkMasters

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 02:10:58 PM »
Love the new look. Somehow I thought that I've got malware redirecting me to somewhere else and after 4 seconds I just realize that this simply a new look of this forum...  :P

ady4um

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »

My previous post (2 posts above this) was actually moved here. I originally opened a new topic for it, in the same/correct section.

The reason to open a new topic was to receive specific feedback about the specific issue of low resolutions and older monitors in relation to the new default look/skin.

I know that this topic, where the post was moved, has some comments about this low resolutions, but those posts are "merged" with other general comments that has nothing to do with it. More important than that, now there will be no relevant comments. I can't even know if the post is or has been considered.

Moreover, I received an email notifying me that there was an answered in the original topic, but since it was deleted, now I don't know what that answer was.

All I know is that I indeed *saw* a working compromise in this aspect a few days ago (low/high resolutions; 4:3 / 16:10 monitors), but now my post is just one more "thrown" here, with no actual answer.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
The Babylon Theme is best, IMHO.