Author Topic: NEW PRODUCT - avast! Free Antivirus for Mac 7.0 (RELEASED 04/26/2012)  (Read 372136 times)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: NEW PRODUCT - AVAST FOR MAC BETA (UPDATED 09/01/2011)
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
Does the Mail Shield still need to be configured via text editor? I don't mind doing so (primarily a Linux user :P), but I'd like a reference for it if I do.

Since the 07/29/2011 update, you can switch the shields ON/OFF using the controls in the avast! preferences pane. Anyway, some advanced shield configuration can still be done only by editing the configuration file.

tiggerfannatic

Re: NEW PRODUCT - AVAST FOR MAC BETA (UPDATED 11/02/2011)
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2011, 01:39:19 AM »
Hello,

I just installed Avast and get an error stating that the Filesystem Shield cannot be detected and it is enabled in the preference pannels. How do I fix this?

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
Thanks for report. The question is if the filesystem shield really does not run, or there was some kind of error in determining its state.

It would be also helpful if you can provide more info:
 * What avast! build do you use? (if it is not 35600, please try the new one).
 * What MacOS X version do you have?

Can you check if a process /Library/Application Support/Avast/fileshield/com.avast.fileshield is running? You can list processes by checking Activity Monitor utility (set combo to "All processes") or by typing this command in Terminal.app
Code: [Select]
ps -A
Mity

micr

« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »
Hi, just registered in the forum and would like to seek your help after upgrading my Avast for Mac to 35600 version.
My question is: after doing  a full system scan, it detected the following as attached file.
Please advise what to do? Do I need to delete them all? thanks in advance!!!
micr

Stefan D.

« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »
There is one thing I need. Please build a Antivirprogram that can work on low level. 5-10% CPU usage would be greate. CalmXav and Sophos are very good but they drive me crazy up to 100% CPU. But AvastBeta is not mutch better at the moment.

mikeflht

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »

Does this Beta version start automatically with computer start up?  It didn't appear to when I rebooted after install.

Understandably with a Beta version the user information is sparse, I was unable to find this info.

Thanks

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »
Does this Beta version start automatically with computer start up?  It didn't appear to when I rebooted after install.

Yes it does. But have you really installed it? The installation is done the first time you start the main application. Just copying the application bundle to Applications does not install avast!.

thexyz

« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »
Great news, looking forward to testing the product.

Wellington Guedes

Re: NEW PRODUCT - AVAST FOR MAC BETA (UPDATED 12/21/2011)
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
Good afternoon! My license to use Avast Antivirus Edition expired how do I continue using the free antivirus.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
Good afternoon! My license to use Avast Antivirus Edition expired how do I continue using the free antivirus.

Just download the current version using the download link in the first post of this thread and replace your outdated version with it (The best way is to uninstall the current version using the appropriate menu item and then install the new one).

Wellington Guedes

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »

Just download the current version using the download link in the first post of this thread and replace your outdated version with it (The best way is to uninstall the current version using the appropriate menu item and then install the new one).

Sorry, forgot to say that my pc is a Macbook Pro

When I turn on my pc it's a message saying

Expired Application

The license is invalid or has expired. Without a valid license, You Can not use the avast! application anymore.

Requesting that I click change license

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

Sorry, forgot to say that my pc is a Macbook Pro

When I turn on my pc it's a message saying

Expired Application

The license is invalid or has expired. Without a valid license, You Can not use the avast! application anymore.

Requesting that I click change license

Hallo,
such dialog is related to the former version. It's highly recommended to switch to the new one:
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/mac-edition

regards,
pc

May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

nogeeks.org

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »
I'm very curious as to why this product has been in Beta for so long. And why it is freely offered to the public while in Beta?

Also, everything I read online suggests that A/V for the Mac is a waste of time. Now I am a natural skeptic, and firmly believe that it is only a matter of time before market share drives the Mac to be more of a hacking target. Yet many highly reputable sources continue to state that the basic design of OSX is bullet proof. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Semris

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
Also, everything I read online suggests that A/V for the Mac is a waste of time. Now I am a natural skeptic, and firmly believe that it is only a matter of time before market share drives the Mac to be more of a hacking target. Yet many highly reputable sources continue to state that the basic design of OSX is bullet proof. Your thoughts?

I would say atm it is bullet proof unless the user makes some stupid mistake (Mac Defender anyone?). If you buy applications from reliable sources, same with other content in your Mac, if you don't visit "queer" pages, if you don't open attachments of mails from unknown recipients and so on.

I'm using Mac's since early 90ties and my Mac actually caught virus once, I believe in 1996! It was called "Worm" and main symptom was that computer got slower and slower. It was very much easy to get rid of it, I got the virus from a friend whom brought me some apps on diskettes heh.

Why I even use AV at the moment? I don't know. It's for the fun of testing more than anything else I guess. And it's nice to be 100% certain I won't distribute some Win virus in job (I take my Mac into job to work on it and I move files to jobs crap Dell PCs). Without AV I'm only 99.7% sure.  ;)

marcarey

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
Is it not possible to avoid to have the windows plenty of avast' pop-ups?? It's very ennoying! and I'll uninstall it if it's not possible-