Author Topic: Avast causing Windows Vista problems?  (Read 22061 times)

opus872

Avast causing Windows Vista problems?
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
I've been receiving Windows validation error messages. In researching the problem, I ran across the info below, from social.microsoft.com/Forums.  Not sure what to do about this...

=====================

For the past few weeks, this forum has been seeing an increasing number of "non-genuine" notifications with the diagnostic reading of
Licensing Data-->
C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(291, 5) (null): 0xC004D401

In almost all cases, this has been caused by the installation of Avast v6.  The only known solution is to uninstall Avast and run their removal tool, then validate the system again, then install an alternative Anti-Virus solution.

Avast appears to be in denial about the situation. They do not appear to be doing anything about it.

Offline MayuraDeSilva

Re: Avast causing Windows Vista problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »
Are you using genuine version of Windows?

Cheers...

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:25:34 AM »
In addition, do you have Vista SP1 or SP2 installed?

opus872

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
Winver says it's build 6000, which I think is the original Vista, before SP1. Which is odd, since I've been using Windows Update regularly. I just ran Windows Update again, and it's not offering me SP1 or SP2.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »
Do you have genuine version of Windows?

opus872

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »
Yes, it's the version that came with this Dell computer three years ago, no problems since then...

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:15:52 AM »
1. Try going to MS and updating to SP2 again, but close everything else out.  You may have to put your firewall (if you are using a third-party FW) into Learning Mode; Windows FW is fine.

2. Please try upgrading from the obsolete version of Avast you have to the current version of 6.0.1125.

3. Have you done recent scans to make sure you are clean (no infections/malware)?

4. What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

opus872

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 01:27:47 AM »
I'm already using Avast 6.0.1125. Also use Comodo firewall. Have run malware and virus scans, comes up clean.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:43:34 AM »
Have a look http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
MS information with download links to service packs for Vista.
There have been a few reports of this issue around, as far as I'm aware it only affects computers without the latest service packs installed.

As to why yours isn't/hasn't updated its service pack, that is probably a separate issue.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:21 AM »

sded

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »
I have been running Vista Ultimate SP2 all along with Avast! 6 free with no problems.  Currently running version 1125.  Also running OA++ and Prevx Free along with it.  Avast! certainly doesn't need to be in denial to me, and haven't found a bunch of other complaints about it either.  If you haven't installed SP2 yet, certainly a good thing to do.  I am also running another Vista Home Premium SP2 computer with similar configuration, Avast! 6 free 1125, but with Private Firewall and Prevx Premium.  Again, no issue.

Joe S

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:48:24 AM »
I ran into this last week on a virtual PC with Vista Ultimate SP2 Retail 64 bit. I just typed the code back in and it was OK. I just booted it up now and it appears OK now. I do have Comodo firewall only also.
Joe

opus872

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:38:53 AM »
It's sporadic - sometimes boots with no problem, other times I get the error message and have to cold boot.

sded

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 03:48:01 AM »
BTW, I seem to recall I did have such a problem in the past after one of the Microsoft updates.  I let Microsoft verify a couple of times, had more updates, and never saw it again.

opus872

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 04:46:03 AM »
Maybe that will work - how do you "let Microsoft verify"?