Author Topic: New Beta - First findings  (Read 7737 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
New Beta - First findings
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:49:20 AM »
The new Avast for Mac is a huge improvement over the old version. However I have found some things odd. Upon the first launch of the app after moving to the applications directory it prompts that it is setting up the shields and prompts you that the network connectivity may be interrupted.  Shortly after this you are prompted to download growl. Im my case the shield setup disabled Airport and I had no network connectivity.

Perhaps the prompt for growl should be before the shield setup disables the network connectivity? Also Airport was not re-enabled automatically, I had to enable it myself in the menu bar. Other users will undoubtedly complain that Avast messed up their internet connection.

Also, Preferences is grayed out in the menu, I am assuming this is the "Not yet implemented" that was in the release notes.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: New Beta - First findings
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
The new Avast for Mac is a huge improvement over the old version. However I have found some things odd. Upon the first launch of the app after moving to the applications directory it prompts that it is setting up the shields and prompts you that the network connectivity may be interrupted.  Shortly after this you are prompted to download growl. Im my case the shield setup disabled Airport and I had no network connectivity.

Perhaps the prompt for growl should be before the shield setup disables the network connectivity? Also Airport was not re-enabled automatically, I had to enable it myself in the menu bar. Other users will undoubtedly complain that Avast messed up their internet connection.

Also, Preferences is grayed out in the menu, I am assuming this is the "Not yet implemented" that was in the release notes.

Thanks Mac. The first problem is related to the firewall setup on en1, and was reported to the proxy-part maintainer. On other interfaces, there's usually no connectivity problem.

The prompt for Growl is temporary solution, in the full version we'll use our own pop-up syustem probably, using Growl just as an optional add-on. But, the is-growl-installed check could be made before, indeed, I'll have a look at it.

And yes, Preferences are grayed out intentionally, in this beta.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »
Also Airport was not re-enabled automatically, I had to enable it myself in the menu bar. Other users will undoubtedly complain that Avast messed up their internet connection.

Do you use DHCP for your WiFi configuration or a static IP address?

Offline claudiuc

• avast! Security Expert
  • Avast Reseller
  • www.avastantivirus.ro
    • www.avastantivirus.ro
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Same issue here with DHCP connection.
Claudiu C. - Easy Media
Avast & AVG Distributor Romania, Moldova, Hungary
https://www.avastantivirus.ro/

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
Also Airport was not re-enabled automatically, I had to enable it myself in the menu bar. Other users will undoubtedly complain that Avast messed up their internet connection.

Do you use DHCP for your WiFi configuration or a static IP address?
DHCP
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
There is a new installation package available that should fix the re-enabling of the interfaces.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
There is a new installation package available that should fix the re-enabling of the interfaces.

Is it at the same link? I will test tonight

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
Is it at the same link? I will test tonight

Yes, the link is the same:
http://public.avast.com/dev/mac-beta1/avast.dmg

Regards.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »
Removed, rebooted, reinstalled. The interface enabled itself correctly this time