Author Topic: Avast scanning at 1.2 mb/sec for first ever scan  (Read 3469 times)

Elehanna

Avast scanning at 1.2 mb/sec for first ever scan
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
A friend of mine in another country has downloaded avast and knows he has tons of viruses in his computer, as he didn't have any virus protection. I instructed him to download Avast and Malwarebytes.

Avast downloaded, and while he was doing a quick scan to start with before installing  Malwarebytes, the scan speed went from 0.2 - 1.9 mb/sec constantly. He has no other programs running beyond the site we are communicating with, and no other previous virus protection programs, as I asked, explaining about conflicts. No games are running, no other programs beyond Avast.

Why is it running THAT slow, on an 80G hardrive with twin processors? He had even left it running over night, and it was only at 10%. Why is it running that slow, and how does he fix it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast scanning at 1.2 mb/sec for first ever scan
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
I think the first thing is to get the computer clean... than study what is happening with the on demand speed.
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE), or MBAM, or SUPERantispyware to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Read this instructions and provide more info with the logs generated.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »
If as you say "it has tons of malware" then the bugs may also use tons of processor power?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
As soon as avast makes a virus detection, it will bump up the sensitivity and scan more files.

However you don't give very much information, essentially the scan (Quick, Full, Custom, Boot-time, with or without archives scanned, etc.) that you started of doing ?

This all contributes to the speed of the scan and there is no persistent cache to help speed scans on a new installation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
As soon as avast makes a virus detection, it will bump up the sensitivity and scan more files.
Elehanna, what David said is called the paranoid mode if you're curious :)
The best things in life are free.

Elehanna

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »
Lol, I see, this is a friend's computer in another country. It's all stuff he tells me over the internet. I'm waiting for him to log back on and look at this thread... so, I can't tell you half of that stuff even if you told me how.

I do believe he has multiple malware/spyware/viruses on his computer, why else would it run so slow? I was just wondering if it was possible to get avast to scan a bit faster to get the basics done for an installment of Malwarebytes, do a quick scan of that, which I already instructed him to do a quick scan of Avast.... then when all that's done, have him leave his computer running all night while it did a full scan with both programs.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
then when all that's done, have him leave his computer running all night while it did a full scan with both programs.
don`t start/run both scanners at the same time

Elehanna

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
-.- i know that. my dad's a computer geek. of course i know that... he taught me most of what i know.