Author Topic: Unable to install programs with Avast Installed  (Read 9746 times)

Captain Morgan

Unable to install programs with Avast Installed
« on: October 15, 2004, 05:21:19 PM »
After installing Avast on my system some programs, I have identified 2 so far HP Precision Scan and Azus PC Probe will not install. This is with all programs shutdown and disabled. I put in the HP Precision Scan CD and autorun starts but the program fails to load. I tested my theory on an old hard drive I have which is not in use and if I install Avast the other programs won't install. If I remove Avast the programs install as they should. I believe I have pinpointed the problem to Avast. I will list my current system below:

P4C800 Deluxe Asus Mobo
P4 2.8 Processor
1GB Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM
WIN XP PRO SP2 Clean install
36GB WD 10K SATA Hard Drive
160GB Maxtor SATA Hard Drive
Zone Alram 5.1.033

Please help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Unable to install programs with Avast Installed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 05:26:21 PM »
What happens if you disable on-access scanning and than try to install those 2 applications?

Any errors in Avast's log files?

Captain Morgan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 05:37:40 PM »
I want to make sure I'm answering your question correctly. I am rt clicking the Avast icon and stopping on access protection before I try to load the programs. I don't see any option to disable on access scanner.

I also shut down any other programs which might be running in system tray before I try to install any program.

I have no entries in my logs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 05:42:30 PM »
I don't see any option to disable on access scanner.

Left click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
You will open 'On-access protection'
On the left side, click on Standard Shield and then click on 'Pause' or 'Exit' the provider.

I have no entries in my logs.

Set the slider to the lower position, Debug and all logs will be shown (if any).
The best things in life are free.

Captain Morgan

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 06:08:12 PM »
Ok, the options I had when left clicking on the icon were Pause or Terminate. I tried both options and still setup.exe fails to execute for hp precision scan.

Was not sure how to see logs you referenced, to see logs I open main menu and click on log viewer. I am not clear on how to "set the slider to the lower position, debug"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 09:59:45 PM »
Was not sure how to see logs you referenced, to see logs I open main menu and click on log viewer. I am not clear on how to "set the slider to the lower position, debug"

Run avast > right click the skin > Configurations > Log
Set to lower, debbug option.

Anyway, did you try to install the programs on Safe Mode (click F8 while booting)?

Captain Morgan

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 10:53:57 PM »
Yes, that was one of the suggestions at the HP web site. I booted into safe mode and tried to install the program from the cd and from a copy I installed on the desktop like the instructions tell you to. Neither way worked.

Since my first post I have uninstalled Avast, installed HP Precision scan and Asus PC Probe and then reinstalled Avast. All is well everything works okl. I can't explain why, but Iam up and running.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 12:53:31 AM »
First of all, WELCOME to avast! forums Captain Morgan !  :)

Yes, that was one of the suggestions at the HP web site. I booted into safe mode and tried to install the program from the cd and from a copy I installed on the desktop like the instructions tell you to. Neither way worked.

This is the first thing that tells you that avast! has nothing to do with your problem. If I understood well, you booted your PC into Safe Mode, tried to install those programs, and you weren't able to do that even from Safe Mode. That means, problem is not in avast!. Why ? 'cause avast! is not loaded when you boot into safe mode... just look at system try, or start Windows Task Manager to see running processes... nothing to point that avast is loaded... nor your software firewall (if you have one)... nothing is loaded except some necessary processes.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 01:00:17 AM by S.Z.C »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 04:56:16 AM »
Sasha, sometimes the 'only few and necessary processes' are not enough to install some softwares, specially hardware drivers...

Captain Morgan, which was the error message when you were trying to install in Safe Mode?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 04:59:47 AM »
Sasha, sometimes the 'only few and necessary processes' are not enough to install some softwares, specially hardware drivers...

That was exactly my point. And also, avast! wasn't started, so avast! couldn't be the problem for not being able to install those particular programs...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 05:00:40 AM by S.Z.C »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 05:02:38 AM »
Sorry, but not...
avast! could be blocking the installation on normal Windows operation.
Other problems (few drivers, etc. etc.) could be blocking it at Safe Mode operation.
Two things could be happening. I don't think you can take a conclusion that avast is not related as, without it, the user could install the software  :P

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 05:08:50 AM »
But you don't get it... if you boot in safe mode, avast is not loaded. How can it block anything when it doesn't run ? Impossible IMHO...

That's why we have Safe Mode, to avoid loading of all those extra drivers and processes, so we can have very clean system at that point...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 05:14:21 AM »
But you don't get it... if you boot in safe mode, avast is not loaded. How can it block anything when it doesn't run ? Impossible IMHO...

That's why we have Safe Mode, to avoid loading of all those extra drivers and processes, so we can have very clean system at that point...

Sasha, you're right. But I'm not saying that is avast which is blocking in Safe Mode. Read my previous post: other things could block at safe mode, sometimes the hardware drivers would be worse installed at that situation.

I'm saying that, in fact, in normal operation, avast is blocking the installation. When the user disabled it, everything worked fine.

So, other problems could be due to installation fail in Safe Mode operation. Not avast. But this, does not mean that avast is not responsable in the normal Windows operation.  ;)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 05:15:35 AM by Technical »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 05:23:32 AM »
Well, I stilldon't understand why you make so big deal out of this one... reread my reply. I stated that avast couldn't be the problem when he tried to instal those 2 programs from Safe Mode - that's true, because avast! was not loaded is Safe Mode...

other things could block at safe mode, sometimes the hardware drivers would be worse installed at that situation.

That's true, but hardware drivers don't affect installation of software program, so even if you don't have installed proper drivers for your video card, which is let's say ATI Radeon 9200 SE, and you have installed just ordinary VGA standard drivers... that doesn't affect installing graphically demanding software applications such as Corel Draw, Photoshop or Fireworks... Same thing with sound card drivers... you don't need your sound card drivers installed to be able to run installation of CooEdit, Fruity Loops, Stainberg Cubase or Rebirth or any other audio application. Drivers are just required if you wanna hear outgoing sounds from those applications...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 05:25:33 AM by S.Z.C »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 05:45:39 AM »
Well, I still don't understand why you make so big deal out of this one...

Just for fun  ;D
Well, in fact, I realise we are both talking the same or, better, the truth.
Take care bro  ;)