Author Topic: Pre-expiry  (Read 4677 times)

Mudskipper

Pre-expiry
« on: October 14, 2004, 01:39:51 PM »
(On behalf of my sis) She's been using Avast Home Edition for a couple of weeks now (less than 1 month) & she's been told her antivirus usage period has run out (and the comp's exposed to viruses etc). We did a reinstallation with the same key, and another reinstallation with a new key... to no avail. We wonder if we could get some help.

regards,
Jill

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Pre-expiry
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 02:12:51 PM »
I have only heard about this in relation to the avast pro trial version. Instead of the 60 trial period, if the program is uninstalled then reinstalled the 60 day period is invalidated and you get an extension of 7 days(I think). This is an anti-piracy measure.

I don't think it happens like that to the Home version, but it too has a 60 day trial after which time the program has to be registered (free) and a home registration key is emailed to you. This is valid for 14 months, then it needs to be renewed, again free.

Is there any possibility that somehow you installed the avast pro trial? What does the 'About avast!...' say (right click avast icon).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 02:15:48 PM »
She should also check the system clock if its correct (date).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Mudskipper

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 03:55:35 PM »
"About Avast" says its version 4.1 Home Edition. The date on her system clock reads Oct 2004. Also, she had registered twice with the second registration key still causes that warning sign to flash :S By the way, I appreciate the replies to my post.

Jill

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 04:44:40 PM »
I would try an avast! repair Add remove programs > select avast Anti-virus > click on Change/Remove (available in winXP, you didn't say which OS is being used), from here select repair (you need to be connected to the internet).

If that doesn't work use add remove to remove avast and use RejZor's avast! External Control program to remove any remnants of avast (Perform Forced Uninstall) and re-install.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 05:28:18 PM »
Are you sure to use the copy&paste method to add the Registration number?
Are you sure to not 'copy' the last blank space (character) at the end of the line while doing this process?
The best things in life are free.

Mudskipper

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 02:25:01 PM »
'Mazinggggg! The repair option worked and there're no warning flashes now. Thanks for the advice DavidR. She's running WinXP home btw and yep, it was a cut & paste on the registration key but there wasn't a "space" after the last character. No worries now, I greatly appreciate the help.

regards,
Jill

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 04:05:36 PM »
Happy to help, I think that avast is one of the only AVs that have this repair option available.

Mudskipper

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 11:35:59 PM »
Oh its definitely a plus. Tho Im interested to know what the repair process was all about, as in what actually went on. Then again, it might be too technical an issue for me (me <- rather 'ungeekified'). Geek is a compliment           :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 11:51:37 PM »
Only certain files can be repaired, e.g. ones that were scanned with the VRDB process (a little like a snapshot of the file), otherwise avast doesn't know how to return them to a clean state.

Not all files are scanned by the VRDB process, mainly windows system files, .exe, .dll, etc. New files that have been added to the computer that have yet to be scanned by the VRDB aren't protected until the next scheduled VRDB.

So files that have been scanned by the VRDB process in general can be repaired.

Always start with the least damaging (to your system) action first when dealing with a virus, etc. - Repair - Move to Chest - Move - Delete (if all else fails). Once you have deleted something there is little that you can do after that especially if you chose to delete an infected file that the system needs. Best to ask here if in doubt.