Author Topic: [Resolved] Off topic (firewalls)  (Read 6649 times)

hayc59

Re: Off topic (firewalls)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
and alot of people dont trust Microsoft wares
So I guess you're running either Linux or you own an apple computer ???  ;D
If you're OS is Windows, your remark doesn't make any sense.
I run Microsoft Windows XP Home and IE8
and yes I dont trust Microsoft..havn't for years
thats why I layer my self with other more trusting programs ;)

DarkMasters

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 10:34:45 PM »
If they have the features you're looking for... Both firewall and defrag Windows are very limited on features. The configurability of the firewall, the boot time defragmentation, etc. etc.

Windows Vista/7 Defrag is adequate though limited on features, I agree with you on this.

However Windows 7 Firewall isn't limited as what you've said. It's a pure Firewall which done what it's design to perfectly in it's normal configuration. If you configure the firewall with an iron clad rule then you'll have the best firewall with lightest impact on your system. Not to mention the less chance of possible conflict with your antivirus software than any other third party firewall.

Of course Windows Firewall won't do you any good if you're hoping for some bell & whistles like any other third party software with HIPS component in it...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 11:26:54 PM »
However Windows 7 Firewall isn't limited as what you've said.
It's very very limited on configurability. It's not user friendly and you must build all the outbound protection manually.

If you configure the firewall with an iron clad rule then you'll have the best firewall with lightest impact on your system.
Not with the outbound... If you iron it to the maximum you can even lost your connection (like any other firewall). But you need to configure it manually.

Not to mention the less chance of possible conflict with your antivirus software than any other third party firewall.
Well, with bad programmed software you must say. You won't expect that Microsoft does not fail and have problems. Other good software does not conflict.

Of course Windows Firewall won't do you any good if you're hoping for some bell & whistles like any other third party software with HIPS component in it...
I won't call configurability just bell & whistles... Also HIPS is not bell & whistles...
What Microsoft should do is iron out the operational system itself...
The best things in life are free.

DarkMasters

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »
It's very very limited on configurability. It's not user friendly and you must build all the outbound protection manually.

It sure is not user friendly for most users. Though it's not limited in configurability, since you can configure it the way you want to.

Not with the outbound... If you iron it to the maximum you can even lost your connection (like any other firewall). But you need to configure it manually.

That's what I said... iron clad rule. Means you have to configure it to the maximum extent possible, but still letting your system to breath (allowing connection for those you want to be able to connect). 'lost your connection' = there's something wrong with your rule.

Well, with bad programmed software you must say. You won't expect that Microsoft does not fail and have problems. Other good software does not conflict.

You're right mostly with bad coded software and you're right that Microsoft applications has it's own quirks too. That's why I'm using Avast instead of their antivirus  ;D

However, I've seen a lot of people either in forums or my friends having troubles by using antivirus combined with other third party firewall (Privatefirewall, Comodo, OA, AO, PCTools, etc). Either it's just a simple thing like exclusion rules or complicated things like systems file being tampered with, memory problem, etc.

In the end, the so called user friendly transforming into user's nightmare to deal with... User friendly or not, it still need to be configure and there's always chance for it to be wrongly configured.

I won't call configurability just bell & whistles... Also HIPS is not bell & whistles...
What Microsoft should do is iron out the operational system itself...

HIPS is bell & whistles in term of speaking, since it'll popping and asking user question about what to do. It's good if the user have a knowledge to choose the accurate action, but most normal users didn't have that kind of experience or knowledge to choose the appropriate action hence rather than fortifying their protection, it actually singed a hole in their system. Compromising their system protection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 03:03:33 AM »
In the end, the so called user friendly transforming into user's nightmare to deal with... User friendly or not, it still need to be configure and there's always chance for it to be wrongly configured.
You're right... this could happen, indeed happen.

HIPS is bell & whistles in term of speaking, since it'll popping and asking user question about what to do. It's good if the user have a knowledge to choose the accurate action, but most normal users didn't have that kind of experience or knowledge to choose the appropriate action hence rather than fortifying their protection, it actually singed a hole in their system. Compromising their system protection.
In these users' case, the better will let the HIPS application decide by itself.
The best things in life are free.