Author Topic: Submitting Files/URL's To Virus Total Questions?  (Read 2513 times)

Jack 1000

Submitting Files/URL's To Virus Total Questions?
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »
Greetings Avast,

When sending files to the Avast Virus Lab, the community recommends password protecting them in a zip folder.  However, is it true that users cannot use password protection for submitting files to Virus Total?  Can you zip them, or do they have to go in a regular folder? Are password protected files sent to Virus Total in essence, useless, because there is no place to provide what the password is to open the folder/file after Virus Total gets it?

BTW, the use of SSL ie. the Secure Socket Layer check-box does not work for me when submitting files to Virus Total.  I have a secure network, but I am not behind a proxy server, maybe that makes a difference?

If Virus Total gets the suspicious file, will Avast lab's get the file also for testing?  Will leave this thread open for anyone else who may have issues or questions about using Virus Total to send files or URL's for testing.

Jack

DarkMasters

Re: Submitting Files/URL's To Virus Total Questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
If you use password protection in your zip file, then how do you expect the antivirus would be able to scan the file inside?

I think the last time I ever tried to scan password protected zip and rar file with Avast, I see the file inside the archive isn't scanned in the Scan Report and Log.