Author Topic: Avast & "Windows is shutting down" XP  (Read 7692 times)

Offline marockee

Avast & "Windows is shutting down" XP
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
Hi, just wanna say this for all that may have the same problem.
I had Avast Free 5 upgraded to 6 on updated XP SP3. All of a sudden Windows started to hang on "Windows is shutting down", doing nothing, and I had to turn it off holding the button. I killed Avast with removal utility, installed fresh Avast 6 and now it does hang few seconds more than it should on shutting down but it shuts! I lost several hours and many nerves!!! That's all!  >:(  :)

edit:

NOPE! ONE normal restart and again same Scheiße! I thought it had something to do with PROGRAM UPDATE coz I think I saw it on some I don't know which forum but NO, I tried all 3 options and, guess what - "Windows is shutting down" (this is for Google). Avast REMOVED till fix available. (I know it's free, don't care)

Regards
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:48:50 PM by marockee »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast & "Windows is shutting down" XP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
Avast REMOVED till fix available.

I doubt there will be a fix, as usually there's no problem.
Must be related to your machine/software...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
So that we can help you better, please answer the following questions and see the suggestion below:

1.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software (both on-demand and resident)
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?
2.   Are your MS/Windows Updates current?
3.   Are you still having a problem with Avast not in your machine?

Suggestion:
A. Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

It is possible that you have conflicting remnants of security software causing an issue, or you have possible malware, or a hardware problem, just to mention a few things.  So we'll start with the easy stuff and work from there to help fix your problem.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Offline marockee

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
Only free Avast, Zone Alarm and MBAM were ever installed on that comp.
As I said in first post XP is updated and without Avast shuts down normally, it's not enough to just disable it I had to remove it. Also, HD is defragged and has no errors.
I don't have access right now to do full scan but I did already quick scan which showed nothing.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Did or have you tried adding the exclusions to avast for zone alarm in the file system shield / expert settings / exclusions, and allow all instances of avast in zone alarm ?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »
One other possibility ... if it happens that avast is auto-checking for updates at the time you shut down, it could take a while.  If this is by any chance part of the problem, normally avast will give you a red popup notification next time you start up, worded something along the lines of "error on last update attempt".
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline marockee

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
I did full MBAM scan and forgot to save the log but it was clean anyway.

Avast is of course allowed by ZA and I also added ZA to Avast exclusions but that shouldn't be standard procedure, and that didn't make any difference, I also disabled both program & defs updates and still nothing. I never had any conflicts, errors or anything, neither I do now it's just that stupid thing won't shut down forever...
Finally, I installed version 5 and everything is OK now, shutting down screen stays for some 10-15 secs and then shuts down. So, there is something in version 6...

Nesivos

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:01:21 AM »
The entire world should shut down XP.

Kernal is outdated and two or more generations old.

The infection rate per thousand of XP systems is five to six times higher than that of a thousand W7 systems.

The cost benefit headache equation tips heavily onto the cost-headache side for XP users.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:14 AM »
I also added ZA to Avast exclusions but that shouldn't be standard procedure <snip>
It is standard is most cases to add exclusions for security software for each other, especially if they use HIPS or behavioral-based software.  There were many problems with ZA in the past however many of these have been fixed with v.6.0+.  The current Avast 6.0.1125 is much stronger in many ways than previous versions, so you should upgrade or do a clean install and add ZA as an exclusion and add Avast as an exclusion to ZA.

@ Nesivos,  Many users around the world still use XP and will continue to use it for a variety of reasons.  This has already been discussed in a previous thread.  Shame on you for mentioning it again as this does not help the OP with his/her problem.

Offline marockee

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »
It's not very new comp so Win7 is out of the question...

so you should upgrade or do a clean install and add ZA as an exclusion and add Avast as an exclusion to ZA.

Yes, I said I did that and still can't shut down, what else to try?...stop shields 1 by 1?...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline marockee

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
I saw UPHC as a solution somewhere but I have it for few years now already

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
I saw UPHC as a solution somewhere but I have it for few years now already

Latest version (1.6g) installed..??

Offline marockee

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:14 PM »
yes   :(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
I would drop ZA and see if this solves your problem.