Author Topic: Avast & "Windows is shutting down" XP  (Read 7706 times)

Offline marockee

Re: Avast & "Windows is shutting down" XP
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 02:50:30 AM »
I found these 2 threads among others
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73088.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58878.0

They have the same problem except that I have NTFS, I disabled Avast, I killed everything but Avast, including ZA (both client and vsmon.exe), I can log off...but can't shutdown! I'll try to stop some shields these days, I use it on-demand mostly anyway, and if it won't shutdown again I'll definitely revert to version 5, it won't kill me...

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:04:54 AM »
I suggest an uninstall of ZA to see if that fixes your problem.  If not, then do an uninstall of Avast then a clean install of Avast using the Avast Uninstaller tool (without ZA) and see if that works.  If it does, try adding ZA and see how things go.  If things work out, great...if it doesn't then uninstall ZA and install a different firewall.

Disabling shields is not the answer to your problem and neither is going back to Avast v.5.0.  I can have you submit a mini-dump file, but the steps above should be tried before doing this.  Thank you.

m.massimo

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
I'd like to add my experience to this thread.
Avast 6.0.1125 free was installed on my Win XPPro SP2 system. Same days ago it started to crash few minutes after boot (it didn't missed one) and the popup alerted me with a rootkit problem with system32/drivers files. Not the same files every time, more frequently nklnk*.sys.
An Avast complete scan revealed nothing. McAfee Rootkit Detective, nothing again. Rootkit Revealer was not able to access registry hive.
A couple of weeks ago I had problems with Skype (last updated version) as well, it started to crash just after launching. I was forced to disinstall it.

I made a clean disinstallation of Avast 6.01, reinstalled from scratch, problem again. Disinstalled again and scaled back to Avast 5.1.889 and everything works fine now, Skype (reinstalled) works fine again, Rootkit Revealer is working properly now (though nothing suspected has been found).

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
@ m.massimo,

You should start your own thread as to not confuse this thread.  In the meantime, you need to update your OS to SP3 as this is most likely the problem using Avast 6.0.1125.  Go to MS and update first and see if you still have a problem.  If you do, then start a new thread and also let us know if you still have any malware.  Thank you.

Offline marockee

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
removed both, installed last Avast, installed last ZA, 10 restarts already, everything O-ket!  ;D
only added Avast to ZA as I always did, and just to add that I keep most of file system shield options turned off
and also, it would be good if summary of settings could be exported to txt file

till next problem, cheers  :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:55:31 PM by marockee »