Author Topic: Glitched avast Uninstall [RESOLVED]  (Read 10232 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Glitched avast Uninstall
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
BTW, ady4um, I use the PortableApps.com version of CCleaner, of which I have the latest 3.07.1457 version and I just noticed that what SafeSurf says is true.  I no longer see an avast selection there in the Utilities category.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
BTW, ady4um, I use the PortableApps.com version of CCleaner, of which I have the latest 3.07.1457 version and I just noticed that what SafeSurf says is true.  I no longer see an avast selection there in the Utilities category.

Thanks for clearing the current situation.

About CCleaner, the most probable reason to show me the "Avast" item is that I "directly" updated Avast from version 5 to 6, so the original program locations are still under "Alwil" and "Avast5". When performing a clean uninstall, reboot and clean installation, reboot and checking for updates, you got rid of "Alwil", so CCleaner no longer recognizes the new location for Avast (which is no longer "Alwil"), hence it doesn't add the "Avast" item. In fact, Avast is listed in CCleaner as "Avast antivirus 5", even after I updated to version 6.

Piriform (CCleaner's producer) should add the new location for Avast installation, so it could correctly detect the new "Avast antivirus 6" item.

@Chim, since you consider this topic resolved, maybe you should go to the open post and edit the topic subject, adding "[RESOLVED]" (without quotation marks) in front of (before) the current topic name (subject).

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »
I finally ran a Puran Boot Time Defrag this morning and that seems to have cleared up the problem.  Prior to the Puran Boot Time Defrag, there were:
20 Fragmented Files
2 Fragmented Directories
419 MB Fragmented Bytes

The Puran Boot Time Defrag cleared all those up. :)

Here's what's weird.  Before this whole incident happened ... that chunk of Blocks of Files of which I've spoken, used to be Movable Files because they would get moved to different locations with each Defrag.  Now AFTER the Puran Boot Time Defrag ... that same chunk of Blocks of Files has been declared Unmovable Files when analyzed by Auslogics Disk Defrag. :o

Anyway, by now no telling why this glitch happened during the avast Uninstall, but it's now fixed courtesy of Puran Defrag.
So, at least something good came out of this.  I learned of Puran Defrag's abilities. :)

I'll go change the Opening Post to RESOLVED.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:26:20 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000