Author Topic: sptd.sys = Rootkit: hidden file??  (Read 17376 times)

Sartigan

sptd.sys = Rootkit: hidden file??
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »
Good evening!
Avast! has just downloaded its new database, and... (see the picture)

So I got a rootkit alarm about sptd.sys - and it can't be a virus, bucause the same message popped up at my brother too (after avast! updated its database)

Is this a false positive?

EDIT #1:
Translation:

ROOTKIT DETECTION
A hidden suspicious object (rootkit) has been detected in Your system. This refers to a malicious infection. It is recommended to remove this object immediatly.

---------

ROOTKIT INFORMATIONS
File name.....|.....Rootkit name
....sptd.sys..|.....Rootkit: hidden file

----------

ACTIONS
Delete now (recommended)
Ignore

Sorry if it does not match with the English translation.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:13:24 PM by Hanziness »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Sartigan

Re: sptd.sys = Rootkit: hidden file??
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
Oh, sorry for posting it, I just didn't find a topic so I posted it to tell that it appeared again.

Thank you very much!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
Oh, sorry for posting it, I just didn't find a topic so I posted it to tell that it appeared again.

Thank you very much!
your welcome.....

and you where the only one posting it in the right section of the forum "virus and worms"   ;D

Sartigan

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
"...also FP solving..." :D

I told avast! to remember ignoring it, at my brother it said that it's a suspicious file - and not a rootkit.

Is it a little "bug" that when I selected ignore and pressed "OK", it said that "In order to complete cleaning your system, you should run a boot time scan. Do you want to restart you computer and start a scan?" - or something similar?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »
Personally I wouldn't recommend that action as a) there doesn't appear to be a way to reverse it and b) you would never know if it was resolved, e.g. when it no longer alerts.

So I would just go for the Ignore option only so as to know what is going on on my system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MANU77

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:11:18 AM »

I told avast! to remember ignoring it, at my brother it said that it's a suspicious file - and not a rootkit.

Is it a little "bug" that when I selected ignore and pressed "OK", it said that "In order to complete cleaning your system, you should run a boot time scan. Do you want to restart you computer and start a scan?" - or something similar?
same problem for me since yesterday.....I tried boot time scan and it didn't worked for me!!!
it is reporting me again as rootkit.What to do?? ??? can any one help me plzzz :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »

same problem for me since yesterday.....I tried boot time scan and it didn't worked for me!!!
it is reporting me again as rootkit.What to do?? ??? can any one help me plzzz :)
Did you check the link in my first reply above ?

Sartigan

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »

Click Special, make sure that the "remember" is checked, select "Ignore" and press OK, this a False positive - as I think ;)
Do not run a boot time scan if it asks you (about restarting your computer and running a boot time scan, click NO)

OR

Try to update your virus signatures - open the GUI (Graphical User Interface) -> Maintenance -> Update -> Click Update under definitions