Author Topic: Need Help, Losing Sale, Cutomer Service is cluless  (Read 5878 times)

justchecking

Need Help, Losing Sale, Cutomer Service is cluless
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
Have 4.8 version free on my machine.

Can get Norton free from Comcast.

Running Vista Laptop, McAfee Firewall and Avast Free (converted from Pro 4.8).

Not sure if even WANT Avast 6.0 whatever, after reading this forum.

Called tech support 4 times, have phone option for Customer Service, but they don't have Customer Service.  If you say you pressed the button for Customer Service, they say its the wrong number.

Calling from US, they say it is 866 number, is supposed to be 877 number.

Asked to be transferred to Customer Service, they transferred me to McAfee technical support.

Prior, they gave an 800 number for Customer Service, it is Digital River sales, whom has no knowledge of products, and told me to call back Technical Support.

Technical Support keeps wanting to remote control my system, which is dumb - because uninstalling firewall would need reboot (and then you lose remote control).

They say they would call back, and continue.  Also dumb - because only have cell phone - and this is costing me money.

I have a pop up on Computer to Upgrade for $29.99 to Internet Security.  I don't know if I WANT Internet Security, I may want pro.  I'm willing to pay, as opposed to going with free norton.

I can't get ANYONE, after spending over an hour on the phone - to answer the question of what the actual price is for any product, since they7 quote the website.

NOTE, I am NOT paying $50 for internet security (just in case anyone is confused about that, let me reiterate that I am NOT paying $50 for Internet Security - ever, never this life time homes).

A supervisor (supposedly), will call back with prcing info, but its past the time for him to call back.  HE TOLD ME THE PROBLEM IS I WON'T LET YOU TAKE REMOTE CONTROL OF MY COMPUTER.

That's not happening. Ever, again - homes.  We don't do that in the US.  I remember when they did that the last time - had a lot of uninstalling, and programs to remove from firewall - and really, I don't know anyone from India that I want to remote control my machine (even when they can't answer simple technical questions over the phone).

You may train your guys for minimal tech, but minimal technical knowledge DOES NOT lend me to wanting to let you remote control my computer.

We were able to download and install 4.8 049 via phone, talk through.

I've had a REALLY BAD customer service experience, please tell me why I should continue to use this product?  Bout ready to call your inept Tech support back, because the guy didn't call back (maybe just wanted to block my phone number).

pcclean3453

Re: Need Help, Losing Sale, Cutomer Service is cluless
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »
You should really change your opinion about AIS. Do yourself a favor and try it out.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »
Don't lose sight of the fact that this is a support site and it is those that have a problem that arrive on the doorstep rather than those that have no issues at all.

So you shouldn't let that colour your judgement too much, but try for your self. Either make a restore point, but preferably a drive imaging software copy of your drive, makes life very east should you have to revert.

Personally I wouldn't take Norton even for free.

The pop-up isn't saying you 'have to buy AIS,' essentially it is trying to get you off avast 4.8, which is effectively on life-support awaiting someone throwing the switch. So choosing to stay on it isn't advisable.

I don't know who you were talking to, but I suspect iYogi 3rd party support ?

At the very least you should get the last version of avast 5.0.677 or 5.1.889 if you don't want to jump directly to avast6, personally I would go for 6.0.1125 the latest version. Old versions can be downloaded from the likes of http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/, the right hand column gives a listing of old versions or the latest version.

Honestly you should have started here on the forums where you are talking to knowledgeable avast users for the most part.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justchecking

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
You should really change your opinion about AIS. Do yourself a favor and try it out.

Um. WHY?

I have an advert pop up (with screen shot), to upgrade for 29.99.

AND, I'm on phone now with sales (tech support won't pick up and sales says I need to contact them)

No one honors the price listed on the popup,

Just don't think I like a company that offers this kind of support, then says oh sorry, we didn't mean it.  There are better choices out there.

pcclean3453

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »
You don't have to use AIS,but it would keep you more protected. ;D Did you re-register your product it might stop bugging you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
As I said you aren't forced to buy, you can choose to install the free version. But If you elected to go For the AIS upgrade, clicking on the Upgrade and save $40 button should place you in the purchase process (without any commitment) and you can confirm the price, if it isn't the $29 then you can back out, close the page and no commitment.

I just did that from my avastUI, Summary where it offered a 40% discount, image1. Clicking on that Get upgrade button took me to the next step, image2. On clicking Upgrade and save £20 (40% off) and that took me to the next stage, image3, which confirmed the price at £29.99 (a 40% saving on the UK price).

Notice at no stage have I actually purchased anything and I backed out (closing the page at that point. So it is possible to to confirm the price.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

Re: Need Help, Losing Sale, Customer Service is clueless
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
My concern is McAfee Firewall not playing nicely with any version of Avast.

I would either get Avast Internet Security, but uninstall the McAfee Firewall before doing so, and using the Avast IS Firewall.

OR.

Remove the McAfee Firewall, use your computer's own Firewall, and get Avast 6 Free.

After removing McAfee Firewall from Add/Remove Programs, and BEFORE installing Avast you can and should use the McAfee product removal tool, which can be found here:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Also, you should seriously uninstall Avast 4.8 and upgrade to Avast 6.  Avast 4.8 updates will probably end this summer.  Use Avast's uninstall utility to completely remove Avast 4.8:  Instructions and download can be found here:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

With McAfee Firewall removed AND Avast 4.8 removed through the clean-up utility programs, get a fresh download of Avast 6 @ www.avast.com.  Choose your preferred version and follow the prompts during and after the install.  Within about three minutes of the program being installed, click on the Maintenance Tab, and get your license key.  You will be protected for 12 months, at which time you will receive a reminder to renew your key.  if you need to reinstall the program, you must re-fill out the registration form.

I would stay away from Norton.

Jack

justchecking

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
Actually, I've had this set up for 3 years (McAfee with Avast), but I'm familiar with that firewall inside and out.

No conflicts with any programs, as long as YOU make the decisions (show smart recommendations).

However, they want to charge for the full package this year, have another thread on researching, and deciding on a different firewall.  Been through many forums, including comcast and Norton (the new Comcast bundled thingy is definitely a fail).

Most gamers don't recommend integrated suites - and I just couldn't see downloading Norton for the firewall only (you have to install the entire thing, then shut off what you don't need).

I like my resources left for my programs.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »
If minimum resource usage really is your primary priority then running "naked" (i.e. zero security software) and a frequently-cloned substitute hard disk is the way to go.

Having done that, or what DavidR suggested, try out AIS 6 for 30 days and then make your choice.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
@ justchecking,

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you did have contact with the third party support called, iYogi and had a bad experience.  I would like to put you in touch with the Avast customer support person who can assist you with your problem.  His name is Adam Riley, and you can email him: riley at avast dot com (no spaces).  I have also contacted him and he most likely will email you as well regarding your issue with iYogi.

In the meantime, since the virus definition support for version 4.0 is ending, you will need to upgrade to a newer version of Avast.  As to the product you select, this is up to you.  Everyone will have an opinion, but you are the end user.  If you are happy with your firewall and it has been compatible with Avast, then stay with it and continue using Avast Free, but upgrade to the current version (6.0.1125).  Since you are currently using v.4.0, I would recommend an uninstall and clean install to the current version using the Avast Uninstaller Tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe.

In the future, should you have any questions, the Avast support forum is the quickest place to get answers.  The Avast Evangelists as well as others are knowledgeable about Avast and can provide you information you need.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.  Thank you.

justchecking

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
Thanks.

I decided to upgrade to win 7 32 bit.  The win upgrader tool says 4.8 is still compatible  :o

Might go free.  What is funny, is the deal to buy AIS at lower price (a funny pop up that won't close unless I turn off adblockplus), says 0 days remaining.

However, won't have much time to email today - much to do.  May go with free and different firewall.  No Zone Alarm, looks like resource hog (32 bit systems don't go above 3gb ram).

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:54:39 AM »
Thanks.

I decided to upgrade to win 7 32 bit.  The win upgrader tool says 4.8 is still compatible  :o

Might go free.  What is funny, is the deal to buy AIS at lower price (a funny pop up that won't close unless I turn off adblockplus), says 0 days remaining.

However, won't have much time to email today - much to do.  May go with free and different firewall.  No Zone Alarm, looks like resource hog (32 bit systems don't go above 3gb ram).

well the windows 7 firewall is pretty good and the lightest you can have..also i have comodo firewall(free) and despite the fact that the company isnt the best,their firewall is effective,light and at my pc at least works like a charm with avast..i would also suggest outpost firewall which is also free and many users here use it..
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner