Other > Viruses and worms
How to boot an unbootable infected PC
<< < (2/2)
Left123:
Sounds good and promising.
Lisandro:

--- Quote from: essexboy on June 01, 2011, 08:32:59 PM ---I might give that a whirl next time hitmanpro breaks a system

--- End quote ---
Thanks. Waiting for your input.
Left123:
More info can be found here http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Microsoft-releases-free-AV-software-that-boots-from-CD-or-USB-1254112.html
spg SCOTT:
MSE engine in a defender wrapper...interesting...
Dch48:

--- Quote from: Tech on May 31, 2011, 10:11:46 PM ---Microsoft released a Standalone System Sweeper Beta to Remove Malware from Infected PC and allow booting the computer.
Hope it helps on malware removal  :)

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta is a recovery tool from Microsoft that can help you start an infected PC and perform an offline scan to help identify and remove rootkits and other advanced malware. In addition, it can be used if you cannot install or start an antivirus solution on your PC, or if the installed solution can't detect or remove malware on your PC.

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta is not a replacement for a full antivirus solution providing ongoing protection; it is meant to be used in situations where you cannot start your PC due to a virus or other malware infection.

To get started, please make sure that you have a blank CD, DVD, or USB drive with at least 250 MB of space. Next, download and run the tool – the tool will help you to create the bootable media required to run the software on your PC.

http://www.askvg.com/download-free-microsoft-standalone-system-sweeper-beta-to-remove-malware-from-infected-pc

--- End quote ---
It's not all that easy if you're on XP. I downloaded it and told it to make an ISO of the disc and got the following message. It does the same thing if you tell it to burn to a disk. It will work with Vista or 7 though according to the Microsoft site. I chose not to install the XP files because I didn't want to chance messing up my installed burning software. If I use it, I'll put it on a USB stick since it says you can update the definitions if you do it that way.

Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version