Author Topic: AvastSvc.exe suddenly took 1 gb RAM !!!  (Read 8724 times)

Offline avragorn

AvastSvc.exe suddenly took 1 gb RAM !!!
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
Hello,

I had a big problem a few minutes ago and I fear that the problem comes back.
I switched on my computer, everything was normal, and I opened firefox 3.6.17 ... everything was normal at the beginning and after a few minutes, the computer suddenly became very slow, and I noticed that AvastSvc.exe was taking almost 1 gb RAM !!! I had to fight to close firefox and to restart the computer.
So I restarted the computer, it normally started again, and I wanted to know if there was an infection in AVAST, so I launched MALWAREBYTE'S ANTIMALWARE.... When the program started, I had the same problem : AvastSvc.exe suddenly took almost 1 gb RAM !!! After almost 1 minute it went back to its normal way of working (between 5 mb and 20 mb RAM) and I scanned with MALWAREBYTE'S ANTIMALWARE that didn't find anything.
I don't understand what happened. There was no program update since at least 2 weeks, it updated the VPS normally ... I made a full scan yesterday that didn't find anything ....
I visited only sites where I use to go that are trusted sites, .... so I don't understand what happened and I fear that the problem be back a few minutes after each time I will start my computer  :'(
Do you know what could have happened, please ?
All my computer details are in my signature :)
Thank you very much in anticipation :)

- avra -
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: AvastSvc.exe suddenly took 1 gb RAM !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »
Sounds like you may have to many programs running in your startups for only having 1Gb of ram, you may wish to check in your startups if there a some processes that are not needed.
You can also delay the starting of avast till after other processes but better to see if there are other programs you can disable first.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
Thank you for your answer :)

But my computer always worked very well, I have the problem only since this morning, I didn't add any programs so I don't understand why AvastSvc.exe suddenly had that behaviour :(
Could it be infected ?
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
I think more than likely that avast was either updating its vps or running its scan that it does about 8 mins after boot when something else was trying to do its thing honestly, are you using MBAM Pro or free ? if you run the free make sure to update it before you scan.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »
I use MBAM free edition ...
So it is certainly a normal behaviour of AVAST ?
I must say that after starting Windows XP, I use to wait 10-15 minutes to use my computer, but this morning I wanted to hurry up because I must go (I am belated now because of that) and I started using my computer only 2-3 minutes after starting it.
But almost 1 gb Ram for AvastSvc.exe .... isn't it strange ?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »
If its at 1Gb of ram usage that would also be with everything else trying to run also which may have caused a brainfart ( so to speak ) you can run a repair of avast if you haven't already just to see if there is any noteable improvment.
Also good to do a clean with Ccleaner- run the cleaner and registry scans, and how long has it been since your system has been defragged ? if its been awhile it could help to make things a bit more efficient.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
Well, I use CCleaner almost every 2 days (I prefer to make my pc the safest possible!).
I defragged 1 year ago approximately, maybe 10 months ago.
How can I run a repair of AVAST ?
I think there were maybe updates of a few things in windows or something else and AVAST was watching the updates ... it is maybe possible ?
And as I already wrote, I started using my pc only 2-3 minutes after starting it, and usually I leave it 10-15 minutes before using it, so there were maybe processes being in progress ?

Thank you very much,

- avra -

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »
I would suggest you clean your machine with CCleaner after you finish surfing the Internet every time.

You can defrag your machine every other month or so, especially after a Windows update or an uninstall/install of a program.

Craigb is correct in all his posts with his suggestions.  You still did not answer how many things you have running at start up.  If you "disable" things that are not necessary at start up, this will be less for Avast to scan and speed things up.

It is normal for Avast to take this time at start up, so try reading your email if you are on a secure server (like a webmail) while it is booting up.

Also, how much RAM do you have?

You state that there was no recent upgrade, however there was a recent upgrade to MBAM free and Pro just a few days ago...assuming you opened it and clicked "upgrade" prior to doing a scan.  It defaults to the Pro version for a month trial, but you need to decline if you want to keep the free version.  If you did not decline, then you have the Trial Pro version...check out what you have.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
10 months ago  :o a defrag would definately not go a stray then.
Repair avast through remove programs, click avast then click uninstall and when you get the popup choose repair then ok and when done reboot.
A list of your startups may help us to let you know which ones you can disable, you can check all your startups through ccleaner.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »
Thank you very much  :)

I have 42 things running at start up but I manually disable some of them : wincinema, webcam, msn (since I use miranda im), ....
I saved a list through CCleaner, but it is strange there are not 42 things but if you want to check : http://cjoint.com/?AFdlADqmCAk
I manually stop them because I tried to disable them but each time I restart my computer I have a windows opening asking me if it is normal that those things are disabled. So I enabled them again and I stop them when my computer starts.
I didn't check how much RAM it takes when I check my emails when AVAST is booting up, I will check later.
Another thing that I find strange, it is that the Windows Task Manager looked strange : there is the name of the thing, then the user name (SYSTEM, LOCAL ....) then the processor then the RAM that the thing uses ... when AvastSvc.exe went to 1 gb RAM, there were no user names written on the Task Manager  ???
But I think it normally works now :)
Thank you very much for your help :)

- avra -

ps : I don't think that the repair would change anything ... Maybe am I wrong ?

edit : I use MBAM free edition, I refused the Pro version trial when updating it :)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:50:31 AM by avragorn »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »
Oui   HKCU:Run   ctfmon.exe   C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Oui   HKCU:Run   msnmsgr   "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
Oui   HKLM:Run   ATIPTA   C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
Oui   HKLM:Run   Microsoft Works Update Detection   C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
Oui   HKLM:Run   AOLSAV   C:\PROGRA~1\TECHCI~1\AOLSAV\AOLAgent.exe
Oui   HKLM:Run   AOLDialer   C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
Oui   HKLM:Run   HostManager   C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\AOL\1165828663\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
Oui   HKLM:Run   Google Quick Search Box   "C:\Program Files\Google\Quick Search Box\GoogleQuickSearchBox.exe"  /autorun
Oui   HKLM:Run   Creative WebCam Tray   C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CAMTRAY.EXE
Oui   HKLM:Run   Adobe Reader Speed Launcher   "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
Oui   HKLM:Run   Adobe ARM   "C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Oui   HKLM:Run   RealTray   C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
Oui   HKLM:Run   QuickTime Task   "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
Oui   HKLM:Run   avast   "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
Oui   HKLM:Run   SunJavaUpdateSched   "C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Oui   HKLM:RunOnce   Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware   C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
Oui   Startup Common   Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk   C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
Oui   Startup Common   AOL 9.0 Icône AOL.lnk   C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0a\aoltray.exe
Oui   Startup Common   AOL Compagnon.lnk   C:\Program Files\AOL Compagnon\companion.exe
Oui   Startup Common   BlueSoleil.lnk   C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BlueSoleil.exe
Oui   Startup Common   InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk   C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
Oui   Startup Common   Microsoft Office.lnk   C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

I would stop all of those from starting except avast and ctfmon, just double click on the startups in ccleaner to disable them, the malwarebytes one in the list will disappear after a reboot so dont worrie about that one, BlueSoleil.lnk is only needed if you use bluetooth connection to your hp printer.

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Agree with craigb.  Your system will run much quicker after doing this!

Offline avragorn

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
Thank you :)

But if I disable things like
HKLM:Run   ATIPTA   C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
HKLM:Run   Microsoft Works Update Detection   C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe

I think I would have troubles ....

I will stop some programs :
Startup Common   InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk   C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe   ( I never used it ! )
Startup Common   AOL Compagnon.lnk   C:\Program Files\AOL Compagnon\companion.exe

Thank you very much :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 12:03:50 PM »
Your welcome  :)

Offline avragorn

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
Well, I disabled "BlueSoleil" (it is the program I use when I send files to my mobile phone, but I don't use it often), "jushed.exe", "WinCinemaMgr.exe", "CAMTRAY.EXE", "companion.exe" (it is from AOL, it is useless), and "msnmsgr.exe".
It makes start my computer more faster now :)
There is only 1 thing I would like to disable but I don't find it, it is a part from AOL too, but I opened the Task Manager and I stopped it manually when clicking on the icon to see which thing it is in the Task Manager, but I didn't see anything closing, but it is a very small thing, it doesn't take much RAM :)

Damned, I have the problem again, AvastSvc.exe suddenly took 735 mb RAM when I was writing this :(
Maybe a late update ? I started my computer 10-12 minutes ago.
Now it is normal again.

And I started again my computer because I found the thing to disable from AOL so I tested ... and approximately 15 minutes later, AvastSvc.exe suddenly took 785 mb RAM :(
And again, now it is normal :(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:38:26 PM by avragorn »