Author Topic: LVPrcmon.sys and BSOD  (Read 5487 times)

broonster27

LVPrcmon.sys and BSOD
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »
Hi There,

I have an ACER Aspire 5633 laptop with XP SP2 that has been successfully running avast for years until yesterday when I updated avast to the latest patch version. Now when I logon to the machine I get a BSOD with an error about LVPrcmon.sys and it just keeps rebooting. If I uninstall avast I don't get the error so it's definitely avast causing the problem.

I've googled LVPrcmon.sys BSOD errors and they all point to Logitech webcam driver issues but I don't have a Logitech webcam I have a ACER Orbicam. Could it be that the ACER webcam is just a re-badged Logitech device?

How can I fix this issue with with avast v6?

doktornotor

Re: LVPrcmon.sys and BSOD
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »
I've googled LVPrcmon.sys BSOD errors and they all point to Logitech webcam driver issues but I don't have a Logitech webcam I have a ACER Orbicam. Could it be that the ACER webcam is just a re-badged Logitech device?

Yeah, they are just Logitech OEM. If you have the latest driver and it doesn't help, we'd need some memory dumps I'm afraid. I can't see any issue with some older Logitech webcam here, the drivers were installed automatically on W7, no BSOD.

P.S. Also, what's wrong with SP3? You are not getting important security updates from MS.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:52:32 PM by doktornotor »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:55:46 PM »
LVPrcmon.sys could be a legitimate file or malware camouflaging itself.  See http://www.file.net/process/lvprcmon.sys.html

LVPrcMon.sys file information

The process Logitech ProcMon Driver belongs to the software Logitech LVPrcMon Driver by Logitech Inc (www.logitech.com).

Description: LVPrcMon.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. The file size on Windows XP is 16768 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. There is no detailed description of this service. The file is not a Windows core file. LVPrcMon.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 40% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as LVPrcMon.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the LVPrcMon.sys process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

Upload the file to http://www.virustotal.com/ where it will be scanned by multiple antivirus programs.  Post the results page link back here.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

broonster27

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »

Yeah, they are just Logitech OEM. If you have the latest driver and it doesn't help, we'd need some memory dumps I'm afraid. I can't see any issue with some older Logitech webcam here, the drivers were installed automatically on W7, no BSOD.

P.S. Also, what's wrong with SP3? You are not getting important security updates from MS.

I've just been to the ACER site and it seems I have the latest driver for the Orbicam for the XP MCE so I can't update the drivers.

I haven't upgraded to SP3 because I have seen so many issues with SP3 failing that I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. Regardless, I doubt it would help with this issue, do you?

jeeves

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
I have just had the exact same problem happen to me! I even have the same Laptop but running XP SP3

I updated Avast when prompted this morning and it told me it needed a restart. I did so and then got the same blue screen of death followed by endless rebooting.

I have checked acers website and im sure i have the latest driver for the logitech webcam. I can only run my computer in safe mode so the registrybooster.exe wont install as i can only run 600x400 resolution not 800x600. All the other things seem a con to me because they arnt free you have to pay for them.

Can anyone help???

DavidCo

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
A lot of the issues with XP SP3 are due to AMD CPU installed but Intel CPU drivers as well
There is a MS fix for this (WindowsXP-KB953356-x86-ENU.exe)

On top of SP3 there are 137 patches for the period of 2008-2011
Who knows what Avast is expecting

STOP error 0xD4 means that a driver did not cancel pending operations before unloading.