Author Topic: Unused registry key  (Read 4543 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Unused registry key
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
Just did a scan with CCleaner and it came up an unused registry key: .avastlic\OpenWithList

Is this safe to delete?
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unused registry key
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »
It is the file association (open with) for the avast license file, double clicking on the license.avastlic file would be opened/run by avast to register your license.

CCleaner brings up lots of cr*p (excuse the pun) it does so for many file associations, for the most part removal shouldn't be an issue, but it will do no harm leaving it in place.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Thank you :)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
Adding...

Regarding the use of registry cleaners in general, spend a little time cruising through the Microsoft "Answers" forums (and these forums too):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

To a man, the MVPs will tell you not to use registry cleaners. Windows manages the registry quite well on it's own, and if you screw something up, it's like picking up a hitchhiker - though you may be lucky, you have nothing to gain, and potentially, everything to lose.

DBone

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
I was wondering what that was too. I just set CCleaner to ignore it as I didn't want to remove any key that had avast! in the title!

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
Adding...

Regarding the use of registry cleaners in general, spend a little time cruising through the Microsoft "Answers" forums (and these forums too):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

To a man, the MVPs will tell you not to use registry cleaners. Windows manages the registry quite well on it's own, and if you screw something up, it's like picking up a hitchhiker - though you may be lucky, you have nothing to gain, and potentially, everything to lose.

Wow, ok this is interesting! So far what i have learn't from Microsoft forums is to stay away from ALL registry cleaners as they serve no purpose whatsoever and having old reg keys kitting dormant does NOT slow your computer down in any way.

Anyone else have a different view on this?