Author Topic: New User  (Read 4521 times)

crisp biscuit

New User
« on: October 19, 2004, 05:36:24 PM »
I have been using bitdefender 8 and while I was happy with the detection rate and interface the anti spam feature made outlook express crash and the program used 4 processes and around 35mb of memory so I dumped it.

Downloaded a trial of NOD32 which I think is great but I don't really have any spare cash right now so I looked at the free programs, AVG, Avast & AntiVir.

I have chosen Avast BUT I have one concern, I just checked the Virus Bulletin test and Avast failed windows xp professional, can someone here explain to me why?

I have the resident scanner set to standard, is this enough protection or should I have this set to high?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:New User
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 05:47:19 PM »
I just checked the Virus Bulletin test.....
Look at the awards Avast already have received HERE

Today a av util fails, tomorrow it is fixed, but you never see them saying. "It failed our last test, but they fixed that so now it is working."

Very soon there will be a new release of Avast. Many things have been fixed in that one as well as added. See eg the "wishlist for avst 4.5" on this board.

I have the resident scanner set to standard, is this enough protection or should I have this set to high?
That is entirely up to you to decide. It is your system, so you decide how much protection you want.

FYI: Avast Home uses the same engine and vps as the Pro version.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:49:53 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 05:49:39 PM »
I have chosen Avast BUT I have one concern, I just checked the Virus Bulletin test and Avast failed windows xp professional, can someone here explain to me why?

This was discussed a lot in these forums...
It depends on how the test is conducted: viruses samples and security level.
You will see that not just one avast! user will be worried about that  8)
Anyway, just after the test release, a full explanation of the company was done.
Wellcome  8)

Until you learn how avast! works and can be configurated, I suggest the High level.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

crisp biscuit

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 05:53:06 PM »
I just checked the Virus Bulletin test.....
Look at the awards Avast already have received HERE

Today a av util fails, tomorrow it is fixed, but you never see them saying. "It failed our last test, but they fixed that so now it is working."

Very soon there will be a new release of Avast. Many things have been fixed in that one as well as added. See eg the "wishlist for avst 4.5" on this board.

That is entirely up to you to decide. It is your system, so you decide how much protection you want.

I don't run redhat Linux or Windows NT so awards for catching a virus on these systems mean nothing to me.

If avast fails a test on windows xp and then fixes the issue asap then that is fine but how are we meant to know? do we just take your word for it?

The reason I asked about the protection level is that I would like to know how much is the detection rate increased or improved if you switch from standard to high?

techie101

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:44:18 PM »
crisp,

This subject goes on and on here at the forum.

I can comment this way.  Avast updates quite frequently to insure that the program changes and the vps database are current.
This means that any improvements in the program are immediatley available to users 'FREE" as well as increased detections in the vps.  Normally at least 2 updates a week are provided......more if Avast determines a virus is a major security issue.

Increasing from Standard to High probably increases detections 50 % over the standard, however, false positives can result.  You can set it to High, then monitor detection errors.  If you find they are valid, leave it on High,  if not, set it accordingly.

Don't take our word for the reliablity of Avast.  This forum has over 7000 members, and downloads of Avast are in the "tens" of thousands.

Don't get me wrong.  Nod32 is a highly efficient and reliable platform, but it costs!  Avast is freeware for Home or non-commercial useage.

Anti-Vir is also a good product as is the newest version of AVG.  AVG like Avast offers automatic updates which is a great feature.

As for "testing".....well, any test can be unfair, dependent on the criteria under which it was conducted.
My criteria is.....Does the product do what I want, when I want and how I want?  Is my system secure and do I feel comfortable with the protection it offers me?

Guide your choice also by the "Support" available for the product.

I think Avast will win hands down.  

;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 06:48:44 PM by Techie101 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 06:52:03 PM »
Why no read the manual to see what each setting does........ ???

crisp biscuit

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 06:54:12 PM »
Ok techie, I am going to give avast a try and I guess the only real way to test this program is to give it a chance and see how it performs to my own pc/internet usage.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 06:59:19 PM »
If avast fails a test on windows xp and then fixes the issue asap then that is fine but how are we meant to know? do we just take your word for it?

The first I guess you would have to ask Virus Bulletin why it doesn't do a follow-up. The test is a snapshot in time that is valid only at that point in time. If you aren't going to believe a company that it has been resolved, then ask users and here we are. We are very happy with Alwil's speed of response to resolving issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security