Author Topic: Disk boot failure after avast update  (Read 10726 times)

mongii

Re: Disk boot failure after avast update
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 04:51:35 AM »
10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/10-things-you-can-do-when-windows-xp-wont-boot/6031733

some of those do not apply to me, but some do, and i tried them already before doing a kill disk, but they ddint work.

wormzilla

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 04:55:09 AM »
Reading your post, the best bet for you I think, is get another computer, plug your harddrive in it, backup all data in your D: partition, unplug then plug it back to the original computer, use Windows setup cd to delete all partitions in it then reinstall.
I think the problem is originally dirty C: partition which can be solved by running chkdsk using Recovery Console from Windows setup cd, but since you had tried reformatting it, it's too late to do it right now.

Well, I still doubt that what's happening to you is related to Avast, but I will check on my Windows desktops to see if the similar issue comes up.

mongii

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 04:59:01 AM »
okay i havent done fixmbr yet, and i just did it i jusy typed fixmbr and it asked me if i was really sure, and i said yes, and it said succesfully written new mbr, or soemthing like that but it said it was successful.

now going to try to reformat if it would continue

mongii

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 05:02:10 AM »
even before doing disk kill i cant run recovery console properly, theres no blue screen, it just goes to a ms-dos kind of black screen whre u type stuff, not like the one described here:http://www.techrepublic.com/article/10-things-you-can-do-when-windows-xp-wont-boot/6031733

mongii

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 05:13:12 AM »
did the fixmbr but xp format still wont continue past the reboot.

Nesivos

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 05:25:55 AM »
Have you tried tapping on the F8 key after you boot?

What happens when you do that?

mongii

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 05:35:55 AM »
nothing, i can't boot to windows now cause i used kill disk already. no safe mode or anything my hard drive is not formatted now. i did this cause first, i wanted to reformat when this problem started, but the reformat setup wont continue after rebooting after the partition setup. I read somewhere that something that may be causing is that some files are messing with your hard drive and someone suggested to use kill disk to remove everything for a really clean format of the drive. so i did that, but i still can't reformat.

it also keeps looking for a CD during the booting proccess, even tho i removed CD-rom in the booting sequence. i dont know why.

but mobo does read the drive, and windows partition format stage does read the drive
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:43:39 AM by mongii »

Nesivos

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 05:47:28 AM »
If you have a SATA drive that could be causing the problem.  Killdisk may have killed the drivers you need for XP to recognize the drive.

WinXP doesn't natively support SATA hard drives. Especially older versions of XP. You MAY need to slipstream the SATA controller drivers into the WinXP files and burn a new CD.

Installing Windows After Killdisk

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/installing-windows-after-killdisk/181858.html

mongii

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »
If you have a SATA drive that could be causing the problem.  Killdisk may have killed the drivers you need for XP to recognize the drive.

WinXP doesn't natively support SATA hard drives. Especially older versions of XP. You MAY need to slipstream the SATA controller drivers into the WinXP files and burn a new CD.

Installing Windows After Killdisk

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/installing-windows-after-killdisk/181858.html

i didint get anything he is getting, and kill disk really ddint do a anything. everything behaves the way it was before i used kill disk.

i dont know waht "0 fill the whole drive" mean, but this is waht i did with kill disk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxQnNCnuAHI&feature=related

what does it mean that XP does not natively support SATA drives, when i got this PC brand new i didnt do anything special, and just used SATA and successfully installed XP.

i have reformatted my pc about 3 times now and this is the only time i encountered this.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Recurring startup after update to free Avast 6.x
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 06:00:23 AM »
I then read on the Avast website the system requirements for the new Avast....for Windows XP, it requires SP2 minimum. I only have SP1. Eventually Avast will probably not supply virus definition updates for
free Avast 5.x and I will have a problem again. I hope Avast reduces their SP requirement back to SP1 as before. I hate Microsoft and refuse to download their garbage that will only slow down my computer, take up more memory and introduce new problems...I'd rather go to Linux. Does anybody have an alternate solution...perhaps a change to the registry startup values.

If hating Microsoft really is your prime motivator, looks like you'll be shaking hands with 'Tux' real soon. :-\
1. SP1 is two revisions ago!
2. SP3 is generally considered, and certainly by me, to be an improvement over SP1.
3. There is no chance that avast! will rewind XP system requirements to SP1. It's hard enough to innovate while maintaining compatibility with old OSs without even thinking of going down that road.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

mongii

Re: Recurring startup after update to free Avast 6.x
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 06:16:28 AM »
I then read on the Avast website the system requirements for the new Avast....for Windows XP, it requires SP2 minimum. I only have SP1. Eventually Avast will probably not supply virus definition updates for
free Avast 5.x and I will have a problem again. I hope Avast reduces their SP requirement back to SP1 as before. I hate Microsoft and refuse to download their garbage that will only slow down my computer, take up more memory and introduce new problems...I'd rather go to Linux. Does anybody have an alternate solution...perhaps a change to the registry startup values.

If hating Microsoft really is your prime motivator, looks like you'll be shaking hands with 'Tux' real soon. :-\
1. SP1 is two revisions ago!
2. SP3 is generally considered, and certainly by me, to be an improvement over SP1.
3. There is no chance that avast! will rewind XP system requirements to SP1. It's hard enough to innovate while maintaining compatibility with old OSs without even thinking of going down that road.

what is that i ddint post that.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 06:28:21 AM »
No you didn't, simplynatural did. It's a lineal reply to a tangential post.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:49:46 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

mongii

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:39 AM »
what? u implying tahts what im saying too? yo we dont even have the same problem. i cant boot into windows and even into safe mode.

mongii

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 07:19:02 AM »
okay okay, i had a little breakt through. after working on this since this morning, and not enjoying the game 3 of teh NBA finals, since i was thinking of my f--ked pc. i tried i final time today to do refromat with xp CD. After partition format, 15 secs before restart, i removed the XP cd, and for some reason it continued to windows installation, and i just replaced the xp CD when it needed to install some more.

Wtf could have caused this? now my vista laptop wants me to update my avast, no way man, i wont do it anymore.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Wtf could have caused this? now my vista laptop wants me to update my avast, no way man, i wont do it anymore.

I seriously doubt Avast would have caused this problem. Just a thought, where did you download your copy of Avast from?
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.