Author Topic: avast free blocking hotmail and more  (Read 12672 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: avast free blocking hotmail and more
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
Right, ok. Thanks for your help.
If anyone else can help - that would be great.
D

You're welcome..!
I'm sure you'll get some replies from IE users soon.
Good luck,
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »
You didn't answer the firewall question as that is also a crucial link in the chain ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iRonzel

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
1. Download and install CCleaner.
      *Then clean your system and registry.

2. Download avast! uninstall utility.

3. Download a new fresh installer and install avast!.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »
1. Download and install CCleaner.
      *Then clean your system and registry.

2. Download avast! uninstall utility.

3. Download a new fresh installer and install avast!.
I believe DavidR's question needs to be answered first.
Uninstall utility is not needed unless there is a problem with removing avast.

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »
You didn't answer the firewall question as that is also a crucial link in the chain?
1a. What firewall (FW) do you use?  If you are using the XP FW, which is a 1-way worthless FW, you should eventually think about getting a stronger 2-way FW once we fix your machine.

1b. If you are using another FW, please let us know what it is now, what you used in the past, if you trialed a FW in the past and how you removed/uninstalled it.

2. Also please check to see if anything in your FW if anything pertaining to Avast is being blocked.  To do this:

Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access?
- If it does, delete the entry for it and reconnect to the Internet.  This should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Thank you.

declant

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 09:14:05 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the posts. A few posts back I did ask how I check my firewall settings, that's why I didn't post anything about it. SafeSurf I'll do what you have advised about the avastSvc.exe but I'm not sure how to answer your questions about the firewall. I don't know what I used in the past or use now. Can anyone please advise me how to check this so that I can answer your questions and help you guys help me.
Sorry for the lack of know how around this one - not my strong point.
Cheers
D

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »
You are using XP SP3.  Do you ever recall installing a third-party (something other than what came with your machine) firewall or a security suite?  If so, what was it and how did you uninstall it?

If not, then please do the following:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Firewall.  Is there a green light lit up to the right of the Firewall (it means that the XP Firewall is on)?  If not, turn it on if you do not have a third-party firewall.

If you are not sure if you have a third-party firewall now, go to Start > All Programs > and take a look at what you have on your machine.  Usually a firewall also shows up as a toolbar on the bottom of your monitor as well.  So if you do not see it there, you probably are only using the XP Firewall, which is a 1-way very weak and worthless firewall.  Don't worry about changing any settings that I mentioned...you need a third-party firewall.

declant

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:38 AM »
Ok, thanks for that. I did have McAffee on there and stoodiply tried to remove it piece by piece instead of using the add/remove function. But it now says McAffee is supposedly totally off my system.
So I don't know if that info helps.

Anyway, I will have a look at my laptop and check out the firewall, and let you know.

Cheers

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 11:43:20 AM »
It can't hurt to run the McAfee Uninstaller tool again just in case there are remnants:

This article provides the steps to remove McAfee from the Security Center from your computer:
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

Also for direct download: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe and http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Make sure you reboot after each uninstall process.

See if things run better after this.

declant

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »
Ok thanks for that - I am just about to run these now. I had a look at my firewall and it is a McAfee Personal Firewall that has been turned off. Not sure what impact this has on my problem but will see how the clean up goes.

SafeSurf

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
I had a look at my firewall and it is a McAfee Personal Firewall that has been turned off. Not sure what impact this has on my problem but will see how the clean up goes.
I believe the Plus version of the FW you mentioned also has an AV in it as well, and this could cause a conflict with Avast. 

After you do the uninstall and rebooted your machine, turn ON the XP Windows firewall for some kind of protection until you see how your system works...if the problem is fixed.  If the problem is fixed, you should think about installing a different third-party FW with 2-way protection, but we can discuss this when you reply back as to how things go from our last post.  Thanks.

declant

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
Thanks SafeSurf - all fixed! Much appreciated. I ran the MacAfee MCPR.exe you suggested and that got rid of files I didn't know were even there. It definitely seemed to be a conflict with the old AV. I now have the XP firewall turned on.

Do you recommend a good third party firewall?

Cheers
D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
- There are many freeware firewalls such as, PCTools Firewall Plus, Online Armor, recently released, Outpost Firewall free 7 suite http://free.agnitum.com/ and PrivateFirewall.

Many forum users are using these:
- PCTools Firewall Plus. This is a relatively user friendly firewall, however, for a time there were problems with this firewall and avast 6.x auto updates (blocked) and there didn't seem to be a way to resolve this other than to uninstall the firewall. There has been a new version of PCTools Firewall Plus released, but I don't know if that resolved this issue as I don't use it.

- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.

- PrivateFirewall, http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

- Outpost Free Suite 7, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Whilst this is a suite, when you install it, it detects avast and asks if you have it installed, answering Yes will mean it doesn't install the antivirus, anti-spyware and web control modules to maintain compatibility.

Should you choose Outpost.
- Outpost Exclusions - Whilst Outpost would have you exclude its folder from avast scans, I don't feel that is required, if outpost is running in its compatibility mode with no anti-spyware and no web control modules running.

Personally other than a single file exclusion I don't believe you need exclude the Outpost folder, I haven't in all of the time that I have been using avast and outpost together and that is many years.

This is the file and path that I have in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions section, C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall Pro\wl_hook.dll (easiest it to copy and paste this full path). This file is as its name implies a hooking tool that outpost uses to monitor activity also and is the only file where I ever had any issue with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
This is not true as has been discussed on other threads.  This was true in the past with versions over 2 years ago, but this bug was fixed.  Many users here use Avast and Online Armor (OA), either the free or paid versions with no conflicts at all. 

Some of us here have tested the various versions of Avast and OA and have experienced no such issues of "grief after avast program updates [or OA updates]," so you have nothing to worry about.

As with any security software (antivirus and firewall for example), you may want to put each software in each others' exclusion should you have a conflict, but if you don't have a conflict then don't worry about it. 

Should you have any questions regarding Avast and OA compatibility, either myself or sded are the best resource people on the forum to answer these questions. 

Many of us have also used other firewalls as well and are familiar with them as well.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the update, having not used OA, just going on what has been covered in the forums.