Author Topic: aswsp.sys Blue Screen. Need Help.  (Read 27445 times)

seanbateman7

aswsp.sys Blue Screen. Need Help.
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
Hello all,
I'm running xp,2002
Service Pack 3.

I've been using avast ever since one of our computers got malware. The guy that fixed it installed it for me, and I have since then Installed it on multiple computers of other. It's a solid program.

This is what I wrote down from the BSOD I got earlier while I was in the middle of something. Always at the worst time.

aswsp.sys
Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
Stop: 0x00000050 (0x9d726379, 0x000000000, 0xf5b67203, 0x000000000)
aswsp.sys - address f5b67203 base at f5b3b000, datestamp 4d65202b

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've been getting these blue screens since I've updated my avast, or at least around that time. But seriously, its getting annoying.

sded

Re: aswsp.sys Blue Screen. Need Help.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
Have seen other postings where a temporary fix is to turn off Avast! self defense module at settings/troubleshooting until Avast! gets an update out.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
The aswsp.sys file is the avast self-defence module driver.

Is this a recurring problem, like every boot or when doing something specific ?

What version of avast did you have before ?

####
- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. seanbateman7-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.

Or

Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this
Code: [Select]
explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

seanbateman7

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:04:33 PM »
Well I noticed I'm not exactly up to date. I'm Running version 6.0.1091 and apparently the newest is 6.0.1125? Would updating help fix this problem you think?

And also as far as frequency goes, It usually happens on the initial boot up, it will just switch to the blue screen. today it happened when I had a large file in excel open, Pandora One, and Mozilla Firefox. The Blue Screen usually happens from once a week, to once a month, sometimes it will be twice in a row or on the same day, but very rarely.

and the file should be uploaded and zipped

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
Having an old program version isn't going to help with any investigation, as the self-defence module may also have been updated. I would hold fire on any upload of the minidump files as you have an old program version. Lets see if after updating the program it resolves this.

So I would say you should immediately update the Program, that will also update the virus definitions.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

davolente

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »
I have a similar problem after attempting to update the program, both from within the program and from afresh, having had several attempts. Got to "finishing installation" and whole PC crashed. Screens (have two monitors) went blank and then had to hit the power button to rustle everything up again. Program seemed to actually be installed but PC went BSOD on me on boot-up with aswsp.sys being the culprit. "Driver unloaded before cancelling pending actions" I think it stated from memory. I tried a system restore and that no longer worked. Again, these are all repeat actions with the same results every time. Re-started in safe mode and un-installed. tried the whole sequence several times but still problematic and PC now rustles up OK without Avast on there. A definitive answer would be nice, as I do not wish to use anything else and am now running without any virus checker. From various postings I have seen, this seems to be an on-going problem. Strangely enough, I updated Avast on my older PC and it went in without a hitch.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 11:02:17 PM »
Can also be caused by a bad RAM chip, do a mem check: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Zedekia

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:53:34 AM »
 :'(
ASWSP.SYS is the avast self defense module driver. People who choose not to use AVast! anymore probably do not realize they do away a very good program and could just un-check self defense and several other startup settings boxes on the troubleshooting page in the Settings menu.

Go to Users Interface
Go to Settings at the top right
Choose Problem Solving down the bottom of the list
Try the settings or just disable Activate AVast! Self Defense for the time being.

You can also first try to open other either virus or startup or active programs to see if they all still open or are able and upgrade them. Perform system maintainance like defragmentation and the command sfc /scannow to check Windows protected files. Use the Problem Solving choices as a last option.

jimbrooking

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »
I will add my experience to this thread, although my screen is green, not blue.

I have an up-to-date (6.01125, I think) version of Avast Free, and have been using Avast for a few years. I recently tried to install Soluto, a program that can reduce Windows boot times. With Soluto installed, my system gets the BSOD a short way into the boot:

The problem was caused by aswsp.sys
    The driver unloaded without canceling pending operations.
    Technical information:
    ***STOP: 0x000000D4 (0xB4BD8C80, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x80546A59)
    ASWSP.SYS

No memory dump is taken, even though that's the selection on a crash.

When I reboot in Safe Mode and uninstall Soluto, the boot proceeds to completion as expected.

I have tried disabling the Self Defense Module as recommended above, but it doesn't change anything.

Of course, Soluto is blaming Avast for the crash, but I believe it's some interaction between Avast and Soluto, and I'm hoping Avast and/or Soluto might find a solution, as both are worthy additions to my Windows XP SR3 computer!

Thanks.

dgangler

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »
DavidR,

I have been periodically getting a blue screen as described earlier in this thread.  It probably happens about once a week or so.  And it doesn't happen when I am doing anything in particular on the computer.

My Avast software is up to date: 6.0.1367

I uploaded a screenshot of the blue screen and the mini dump file to the ftp server you mentioned.
They are named:
dgangler-blue-screen-screenshot.jpg
dgangler-mem-dump.zip

I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
I'm an avast user and don't work for avast, so the analysis will be down to avast.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
My Avast software is up to date: 6.0.1367

@dgangler, thanks for dump file... it says your avast version is 6.0.1125, and this BSOD was probably fixed in newer version. Could you please check why do you think you have 6.0.1367 version? Your system wasn't rebooted for 4 days, so if you updated avast to 6.0.1367 during that time, it's recommended to reboot your system so drivers can be updated. 6.0.1125 is quite old (from May).

Thanks.

Juannes

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:20:51 AM »
I have had that problem with avast pro version 7.0.1426,frequent blu screens more than 5 times week,involving the aswsp.sys file; I´m using windows 7 ultimate SP1. I will send one minidump file for that avast "incoming" site..

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »
do you have \windows\memory.dmp in your system? can you please compress this file and upload as well? thanks

Juannes

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »
i sent again to ftp site with a name: juannes-minidumps....