Author Topic: "Non-Genuine Windows" Message after Avast! update  (Read 3633 times)

Takaoldaria

"Non-Genuine Windows" Message after Avast! update
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »
Hi. I've already posted in another topic, the french section, but since no one answers...

Well, after updating avast, I shuted down my laptop. When I'm booting it up, I'm going on my session and I'm seeing this... crappy message, "Non-Genuine Windows" crap, and all that.

Howewer, the worst part is that I can't access my desktop to check anything. I'm on Vista Integral Familial or something like that. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance.

sded

Re: "Non-Genuine Windows" Message after Avast! update
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »
Take a look at the thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78657.0 and see if that helps.

Takaoldaria

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
I can't access anything, excepted FireFox, my browser.

sded

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »
Can you access the thread by copying and pasting the URL into Firefox?

Takaoldaria

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:25 PM »
I mean the only program I can use is Firefox. The "Validate Now" option is doing nothing.

I guess I'm screwed? Vista was pre-installed, I have a backup, but I don't know where it is and HOW to use it. I'll shut down the computer now and see later if this get better.

sded

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
Try this for validate Windows http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/

sded

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
Another thought is to see if you can validate from safe mode with networking.  Or use system restore to back out recent updates.

Nesivos

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »
Hi. I've already posted in another topic, the french section, but since no one answers...

Well, after updating avast, I shuted down my laptop. When I'm booting it up, I'm going on my session and I'm seeing this... crappy message, "Non-Genuine Windows" crap, and all that.

Howewer, the worst part is that I can't access my desktop to check anything. I'm on Vista Integral Familial or something like that. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance.

Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials?

Did you completely uninstall and clean registry entries for the AV program that was running before you installed Avast?

Takaoldaria

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »
Well, I just booted up again and it was fine. No DANGWEM (Damn Annoying Non-Genuine Windows error Message), so I guess everything is fine. If there is another problem, like this, I'll tell you. Thanks.

-Not running MSE

-Norton was pre-installed in the laptop, but since I have not enough money to fix the computer if I mess something, I've kept it, but I've excluded his folder from all scans and I'm closing his scan windows when it comes up up (every thursday on 20:00). That's all.

-Safe mode is... F8 when the computer is booting, that's it? I'll remind it.

-Could you explain me what's "Safe Mode with networking"? It seems useful, but my laptop is not linked to another computer.

-For the last time, during the DANGWEM apparance, only thing I could do was using FireFox, thanks to the "Validate Now" option, who brang up a FireFox Window. Howewer, it ran for hours and has done nothing. (Yay for multi-tab browsing!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:57:16 PM by Takaoldaria »