Author Topic: Windows XP Event Log Message  (Read 2033 times)

reelsman

Windows XP Event Log Message
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
Avast 6.0.1125
Windows XP SP3 + all updates
Windows Fast User Switching is activated

In certain, defined situations, I am getting the following message in my Windows system event log:

Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1517
Date:      6/5/2011
Time:      7:17:34 PM
User:      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:   DESK
Description:
Windows saved user DESK\Rob registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

By a long process of elimination, I think I have determined that this error is related to Avast antivirus.  I also think it is related to another problem I have when using Windows XP fast user switching and trying to log off a secondly-logged user's account while the firstly-logged user's account is still logged on.  Instead of the second user's account logging off and Windows displaying the user account switching screen, the screen actually goes black, and the computer completely quits responding.
Is there a way that Avast could be changed to follow the system messsage's advice?

hlecter

Re: Windows XP Event Log Message
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:59:33 PM »
Hi;

To give you a hint, take a look at this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&pf=true

and read about the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.

I'm pretty sure you will find it interesting.

HL

reelsman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »
Thank you.  I feel certain you have identified what I need to overcome this.  I've downloaded the installer, and I will install in the next day or so.  You get a gold star for your quick work.  :)

hlecter

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:19:47 AM »
Glad I could help.  :)

I had to use it myself on one of my XP machines to get rid of the
annoying Eventlog message.

reelsman

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:33 AM »
Well, I very much appreciate your passing your experience along.