Author Topic: Forced IP's  (Read 2031 times)

doug scott

Forced IP's
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
I have a locked down network that requires myself to add an IP into our DNS server and a matching entry into our firewall for both outbound and inbound access. 

What ini/registry setting do I need to set as well as the corresponding IP's to allow to register and take updates with avast5.  I would rather force a server by than use dns or a range of IP's.

Thank you

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Forced IP's
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06:31 PM »
I'm afraid it's not possible.
avast! uses hundreds of servers to download the updates from, and it chooses them randomly (besides, the list may change between the updates).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Forced IP's
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
There isn't a range of IPs that you can easily use as there are almost three hundred of them (currently 296) in different locations. These are listed in the C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\servers.def file and are also subject to change.

Not all are listed as specific IPs but domain/sub-domain and may be redirected to a geoip address (if I'm reading the information in this file) to make updates more efficient.

So this is no easy task.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security