Author Topic: Fired because of Avast - please help.  (Read 8582 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Fired because of Avast - please help.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
It has to connect to display the animations which are flash based just like on a web page.

Hi, it is true, that avast uses flash to display graphs, but these graphs are local, not downloaded from any web page, so no network connections are needed to display them.

Dch48

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 11:19:20 PM »
It has to connect to display the animations which are flash based just like on a web page.

Hi, it is true, that avast uses flash to display graphs, but these graphs are local, not downloaded from any web page, so no network connections are needed to display them.
I didn't mean the graphs at all, I meant the pictures and ads on the main status screen

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »
Which shouldn't appear in the paid version that the OPs business, the "show remote content in avast! user interface" option isn't on the free version.

Though if just using the Pro version, I don't know if there would be any option to upgrade to the Avast Internet Security product. But unchecking the "show remote content in avast! user interface" option should stop that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »

I didn't mean the graphs at all, I meant the pictures and ads on the main status screen

Ok, not sure about the adds, they might be online, but not they are most probably not in flash. Just wanted to make clear, that avast using flash does not mean any unnecessary traffic from the gui - it's just a scripting engine/graphical engine that we've found convenient for such task.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:40 AM »
Please help:

I am an administrator for a small company and have recently decided to upgrade from Avast 4.8 to Avast 6.0.1125 on our 12 machines. We have a legal subscription to Avast Pro for all the machines.

After updating, and going through all the program settings to disable internet connectivity (company requirement), Avast is still trying to communicate with the internet. The connections are coming from AvastUI.exe. I need to disable these connection attempts, but see no way of doing so from within Avast.

My boss now thinks that Avast is spyware and is leaking company and user data to the internet. Unless I find a way of disabling these connections FROM WITHIN Avast, I will get fired by the end of the week. Please help - tell me there is some hidden setting in Avast to disable these connection attempt, or please provide me with a modified executable that does not behave in this way.

michael

Hi Michael

Since I first saw you're post the situation you describe has become more and more intriguing to me. What about all the other software that communicates via the internet? Browsers, MS Office, CRM, accounting packages? Does your boss insist that they all be blocked?
Of the businesses I'm involved with, none have ever requested that avast! or any other product for which a large part of it's role is to protect the PC from internet-borne threats, be prevented from communicating in such a manner, especially when that application depends on net access for updates.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:25:40 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Well, I don't think there's much point in discussing the requirements... I suppose the requirements are given.
However, if the requirement is strictly no internet connection, it should be ensured by a firewall - not by trying to configure the application not to do so and then assuming that if it conforms over a short period of time, it will conform always.

As I said previously, avast! will [try to] connect to the internet in certain situations, and I don't think there's any way to prevent those attempts.

redblade8

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
I suppose if all this doesn't work for you, you can go back to using 4.8? You said that there wasn't any problems prior to installing 6.0 , so if this works for you, here is the link:
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/download-software#tab2

You can additionally try installing avast 5.0 and see if this helps.

Have A Good Day (^.-)~*

wonder

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
Does your boss know how an AV works?!
Didn't version 4.8 update regularly?
Could it be an excuse to fire you? In that case bring him to court, cause this guy seems totally idiotic  :o

hake

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
This thread makes me think of Dilbert's boss.  What kind of corporate culture engenders fear like this appears to have done?

Some software MUST be trusted.  Otherwise if everything is operated manually there is great scope for accidental intrusions and subversions through user error.  If security software like Avast! cannot be trusted, what can?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:43 AM »
Your boss is an idiot. Sorry but he is.
How on Earth is he expecting an internet aware application from not using the internet? It's like expectinga browser to work without an internet connection. Sure it will work, but you won't have much use of it without connection. It's the same with avast! or any antivirus in that matter.

It has to check connection here and there to operate correctly. Either for definitions updates, CommunityIQ queries, submission of susipicious files, WebRep etc etc. Let alone apps that rely on cloud technology and constantly connect outbound and inbound with vendors servers.

Besides in these days when everyone and everybody hack other apps and reverse engineer them, it's very unlikely that any company would be stealing data like this and not get in the news quickly. As someone would spot something like this very quickly. They have before and they will in the future.

If you want to enforce YOUR policy for YOUR network, you have to enforce it on your own using packet filtering, port blocking or just firewall alone.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 02:01:26 PM »
i find sort of ironical that Firewall popup is used as 'proof' the application is doing something on network

but the Firewall is not used to block the application from doing something on network permantently if needed

why the Firewall is then installed? :)

also, explain to your chief that what he sees is not communication to internet but your local network DNS server
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System#Address_resolution_mechanism

but i doubt he will understand that anyway
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:04:45 PM by Dwarden »
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
Funny thread... ;D

@OP: If your boss doesn't understand, he should get fired...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MichaelS

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 05:36:04 AM »
OK, I was fired yesterday...

For what it's worth, no amount of explaining can help some people (my ex-boss).

muntoo

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »
OK, I was fired yesterday...

For what it's worth, no amount of explaining can help some people (my ex-boss).

Well, think of it this way: Your boss can't fire you anymore for upgrading the firewall. (What is this!? The firewall is doing something with the internet! You're fired!)

hake

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »
I lost my job in a not dissimilar situation more than a few years ago.  I suppose it's an example of the Peter principle.  Your (ex)boss has clearly vastly exceeded his competence limits.  It's soul destroying to work for such a fool.

I went off and found a great job working for a great and wise man.  There are plenty of them.  They aren't too hard to find.  Good luck.