Author Topic: I had to uninstall Avast!  (Read 3886 times)

rawpimple

I had to uninstall Avast!
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »
I really like avast it's so much better than mac Afee or norton and those are Horrible products as i fix computers and most people use those and have Viruses and malware & Norton Or Mac Afee never catches them. Avast will. I have searched this on here but I can find any answers, My free version keeps popping-up and telling me that I have 15 days left then I have to buy it. & also sometimes I had to disable Avast just so i could get online. I use Chrome & Avast was not letting me get online. has anyone here ever had such a problem? I want to re-install Avast but i don't want to be bothered with it telling me i have only so many days left to buy it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I had to uninstall Avast!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:40 PM »
You have to register the free version otherwise you will get a reminder, have you actually registered it ?

If so if you have had it almost a year then you would be in the area to re-register again ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rawpimple

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
well ima big dope  ;D i thought registering it is the same as telling me i have to buy it. But still I hate the part where it installed that garbage in my browser, there's these horrible pop-ups that tells me how safe the website is. well I will install it again I just want complete control over a program if I cant get that then the program is Malware, I recommend Avast to all my costumers. this is a great place to sort out issues with a program that I have hopes for.

thank you

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Choose custom install so that you can untick any componants you dont wish to have, ie (webrep)

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:16:58 PM »
If you're referring to WebRep, it can be easily turned off but I have never seen it give any popups. If you're getting popups about web sites, that is most likely the Web Shield doing it's job blocking sites that are known to be spreading malware. You can also turn that off but I would advise strongly against it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »
well ima big dope  ;D i thought registering it is the same as telling me i have to buy it. But still I hate the part where it installed that garbage in my browser, there's these horrible pop-ups that tells me how safe the website is. well I will install it again I just want complete control over a program if I cant get that then the program is Malware, I recommend Avast to all my costumers. this is a great place to sort out issues with a program that I have hopes for.

thank you

You're welcome.

As has been mentioned you can easily disable/uninstall the webrep just as you can other shields, P2P, IM if you don't use any of those applications.

The pop-ups you mention should only actually pop-up if you hover the mouse over the webrep icon in the search results list. It is however, very sensitive and you can easily trigger it whilst moving the mouse down the list of hits. But again it should close just as quickly when you move off the icon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rawpimple

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
If you're referring to WebRep, it can be easily turned off but I have never seen it give any popups. If you're getting popups about web sites, that is most likely the Web Shield doing it's job blocking sites that are known to be spreading malware. You can also turn that off but I would advise strongly against it.
no its not pop-ups from that its from the Rep thing as i move my cursor over it it all pops up and blocks what i'm trying to read I finally figured out where to get rid of that. and that stayed in my Chrome browser even after i uninstalled the program. I'm going to re-install it. IMO it's one of the best AV's out there. thank you for taking the time to reply

rawpimple

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
yeah David i dont use any P2P or anything of that manner. and thank you..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
No problem.

DBone

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »
Custom install is the best option. Don't want WebRep or Gadget? Don't install them, same goes with the P2P, Mail, and IM shields. If you install it and change your mind on a shield, just go to programs and features and choose "change" and you can change avast!s configuration any time you want without loosing your settings.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:18:04 PM by DBone »