Author Topic: Best free firewall ?  (Read 41988 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Best free firewall ?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
If you don't have special requirements,I think windows 7 firewall is enough!

If you use instant messingers, most likely it wont.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80611.0

::)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Dch48

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
If you don't have special requirements,I think windows 7 firewall is enough!
For many people, it will be enough. If a bad IM file got through, that's because the IM shield in Avast didn't catch it. Most likely because there wasn't a signature for it yet. These things happen but very rarely.

gdiloren

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:45 PM »
+1 :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
Not only is it outdated but as has been said many times, Matousec does not really test firewall effectiveness but rather the level of HIPS based protection. Of course any product without HIPS, such as the Windows Firewall, will not fare well in their "tests". I will still maintain that the only job of a firewall should be to monitor connections. All that other stuff should be done by other applications that a user can choose to install or not.
+1
The Matousec results are misleading.
He is not (economic) independent and he earns for this misleading: he is testing HIPS not firewalls.
I suppose the "good" firewalls are paying him for that.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I only wish he could set up a decent website with his money... :P

Raveen Kool

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
Have anyone tried Private firewall.........

It is really good and does not give 2 many pp-ups and user friendly.......

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
Have anyone tried Private firewall.........

It is really good and does not give 2 many pp-ups and user friendly.......
Yes its a good firewall, very light on resources but not as user friendly as some other free one's out there.

Raveen Kool

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »
Yes its a good firewall, very light on resources but not as user friendly as some other free one's out there.

For me it is working fine.....

YoKenny

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 10:45:20 PM »

So why does your signature indicate you are using Comodo ???

Raveen Kool

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
 ;D..........................

I set up the signature before 3 months.......... Going to change it......

TNX for reminding..........LOL! :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »

So why does your signature indicate you are using Comodo ???

Good that someone noticed, I basically use adblock plus to block all image, banners, logos, etc. in signatures, I hate all the extra space they take up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 12:22:54 AM »
Now that I have Windows 7 64 bit, I have abandoned PC Tools. It wasn't creating rules correctly and in some cases, not at all. It refused to create rules for many 64 bit apps, in particular CCleaner. I submitted the problem to them and they replied by saying that the firewall had known issues on 64 bit systems and that my problem was caused by a conflict with the Web Shield of Avast. They advised me to disable the shield which I was not willing to do. I am now using the free version of Windows 7 Firewall Control and I'm very pleased with it. A strong two way firewall with no HIPS was just what I wanted.

Raveen Kool

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2011, 05:55:06 AM »
Now that I have Windows 7 64 bit, I have abandoned PC Tools. It wasn't creating rules correctly and in some cases, not at all. It refused to create rules for many 64 bit apps, in particular CCleaner. I submitted the problem to them and they replied by saying that the firewall had known issues on 64 bit systems and that my problem was caused by a conflict with the Web Shield of Avast. They advised me to disable the shield which I was not willing to do. I am now using the free version of Windows 7 Firewall Control and I'm very pleased with it. A strong two way firewall with no HIPS was just what I wanted.

The only problem with the Pctools firewall for me is that..........

Installed about 5 times thought these 2 years at random dates, and every time i install it, it blocks up my network and i had to use system restore......

After Symantec bought Pctools, their products are not so good, always crashes my machine...... :-\

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 07:57:31 AM »
...I basically use adblock plus to block all image, banners, logos, etc. in signatures, I hate all the extra space they take up.

Same here.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »
...I basically use adblock plus to block all image, banners, logos, etc. in signatures, I hate all the extra space they take up.

Same here.

Unfortunately there is nothing to do when the user spreads their signature over 7 lines ????
None of which are actually any use within the context of the forums. To gave a basic outline of your system should you ask for help. It also gives and idea of what most people are using for those avast users/visitors to the forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security