Author Topic: Best free firewall ?  (Read 42013 times)

rdmaloyjr

Re: Best free firewall ?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 11:25:23 PM »
I like people that live in the past, it's so easy to zip past them. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:49 PM »
I like people that live in the past, it's so easy to zip past them. ;D ;D ;D

Dream on. ;D :P
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong. But hasn't Zone Alarm caused and/or created conflicts with avast!?  ???

You're right.
And it's still no dream team, imo.

Yep! I remember this in the past too when I switch from ZoneAlarm to Comodo FW and now I'm using Outpost Pro FW I bought a lifetime licence from Outpost for 30% off ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong. But hasn't Zone Alarm caused and/or created conflicts with avast!?  ???

You're right.
And it's still no dream team, imo.

Yep! I remember this in the past too when I switch from ZoneAlarm to Comodo FW and now I'm using Outpost Pro FW I bought a lifetime licence from Outpost for 30% off ;)

IMO, there are some people in this thread smoking wacky weed.  I've been a long time user of ZA & avast!.

The dream team for avast! is avast!, WinPatrol and ZA.  Secure and no problems.

I've got about 6 months left on my subscription to AIS, it's a shame to let it go to waste, but MSE keeps my computer more secure than avast!.

It would be nice if you would encourage me to go back to AIS.

But the BS your spreading isn't helping matters. ::)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 06:08:07 AM »
IMO, there are some people in this thread smoking wacky weed.  I've been a long time user of ZA & avast!.

OT: Excused me rdmaloyjr you're avatar tell me you're a smoking wacky weed for using ZA far to long because of a very poor proactive security test in the free version, unless you're using ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version which is not to bad but not free and you can't beat Outpost Pro lifetime licence which is a great price to pay or Private firewall and Comodo for free. I've had enough of Comodo for 4 years using the v5.4 because its getting a bit heavy on my XP and Outpost Pro its just right ;D

Now I know DavidR using Outpost Pro and if I have a minor problem with it I'll send him a PM and free beer ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:40:25 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Mayflower

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
Avast Free and PC Tools Firewall Plus works fine.

(But, consider Avast IS.)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 03:33:06 AM »
@ rdmaloyjr   According to Virus Bulletin and av-comparitive.org MSE lags way behind avast in every area.  So if you use MSE you get what you ask for...trouble. With all due respest instead of wiggling your finger start using your mind and listen to wisdom. As far as using wacky weed it is not those who know what's what that you should worry about.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 06:06:11 AM »
I would suggest you for lifetime license for Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 and avast free..
No many after one year for any security product but a great protection.
avast power is its community which no one else have.

But I am paying for ESET NOD32 and ditching avast free on my one PC till version 7 releases because I hate avast's UI as I hope it could be made more good looking and easy to use like ESET. No comments on avast GUI please.

Outpost Firewall is the best. Even it is used by AVG,Bull Guard,Quick Heal, and many security vendors in their products.

@rdmaloyjr
   If you want better protection Use Outpost Firewall pro with avast free (Pro will be best).

Thanks
Ash
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:11:58 AM by Ashish Singh »
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Ashish Singh,

Right now I'm using AIS as I don't want to let my subscription to AIS go to waste.

When AIS expires I don't know if I will stay with avast Free or go back to MSE, it depends on AIS's performance.

I definitely will return to ZA Free upon AIS's expiration!

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 07:27:44 PM »
Ashish Singh,

Right now I'm using AIS as I don't want to let my subscription to AIS go to waste.

When AIS expires I don't know if I will stay with avast Free or go back to MSE, it depends on AIS's performance.

I definitely will return to ZA Free upon AIS's expiration!

Actually its your money and your choice but Zone Alarm is not good.
Your choice is telling me as if you are telling 1 year old boy to guard the house.
ZA premium products are good no doubt but not the free one.
NOTE: ITS MY PERSONAL REVIEW

Just to keep you safe online I would suggest you to have avast Pro antivirus (avast free if not possible)
If you want everything free then you can have avast free with Outpost Security Suite 7.1 @ free.agnitum.com. Install avast and then Outpost free.

Regards
Ashish
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:32:49 PM by Ashish Singh »
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
I had a 1960 Chevy Impala coupe before I went in the service, and I got a used 1970 Dodge Challenger shortly after I got out of the service. I've wondered for years, which one of those was the best car I ever owned. It was probably, the 1969 Chevy El Camino, or maybe it was...

All threads like this prove, is that there is no winner, and it just brings the fanbois out of the woodwork to convince you that their choice is best. Frankly, they're all like the lucky rabbit's foot a friend of mine carried for years. It worked great, right up until he was hit by a truck.

Edit:

I remember which was best now, it was the Harley Fat Boy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:03:50 PM by OrangeCrate »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Ashish,

Thank you for your concern, but I'm a long time user of ZA Free and that experience has taught me ZA Free is one of the best fw's there are.

ZA Free has never let me down. :)

rdmaloyjr

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
I had a 1960 Chevy Impala coupe before I went in the service, and I got a used 1970 Dodge Challenger shortly after I got out of the service. I've wondered for years, which one of those was the best car I ever owned. It was probably, the 1969 Chevy El Camino, or maybe it was...

IMO, the 1970 Dodge Challenger was the best car you ever owned. :)

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 04:46:23 PM »
Ashish,

Thank you for your concern, but I'm a long time user of ZA Free and that experience has taught me ZA Free is one of the best fw's there are.

ZA Free has never let me down. :)

rdmaloyjr

Hi Dear,

You must watch this then.
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

Most people will disagree on this but you can read about detail about Levels

Regards
Ashish

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
Most people will disagree on this
Because it is testing HIPS and not the firewall.
Because the tests aren't independent and he receives money for them.
Because the drawbacks of the leak tests posted a lot of time here.
Would we trust in the Matousec tests? NO.
The best things in life are free.