Author Topic: custom scan that is nearly complete  (Read 3133 times)

tpgettys

custom scan that is nearly complete
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:46:59 AM »
I would like to create a custom scan that is identical to the complete scan, except that it scans only the C: drive (I have a large disk that is dedicated to backup that I wish to exclude from this scan).

There are many items offered in the custom scan dialog but it seems like it should be easier to do what I want than adding every item except the scan all drives.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: custom scan that is nearly complete
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »
If you are setting up a custom scan then dont choose to scan memory as this will usually through up alot of false positives from unencrypted virus signitures from other security software that maybe on your system.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »
If you are setting up a custom scan then dont choose to scan memory as this will usually through up alot of false positives from unencrypted virus signitures from other security software that maybe on your system.
Hmmm... If this happens, wouldn't it be better to rethink if the "other" security software are that good to be kept?
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »
Hmmm... If this happens, wouldn't it be better to rethink if the "other" security software are that good to be kept?
Well the custom scan with memory ticked will also detect windows defender definitions as well as malwarebytes, superantispyware, AdAware and many more which is why we are always telling people here to untick the scan memory box from the custom scans or resort to the standard full or quick scans.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »
Well the custom scan with memory ticked will also detect windows defender definitions as well as malwarebytes, superantispyware, AdAware
Well, all of them are avast compatible and should be encrypted into memory. No problems.

and many more
Well, that could be the problem... in that software.
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
Even if there encrypted in memory avast still throws false positives with a memory scan ticked, do a search for the issue and you will find many instances of where DavidR, Pondus, myself and others have instructed the user to untick that box if they do not want to recieve those detections as the custom scan delves deeper into memory than the normal scans so it is not recomended to tick the scan memory if your running other realtime security software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
I would like to create a custom scan that is identical to the complete scan, except that it scans only the C: drive (I have a large disk that is dedicated to backup that I wish to exclude from this scan).
<snip>

Well it sounds just like you are describing the Quick scan.

Or why not use the Full System Scan, Settings, Exclusions and add the Backup Disk from the exclusions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tpgettys

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »
Thank you David; I wasn't aware of the exclusions.  That is exactly what I was asking for!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security