Author Topic: A few questions about Avast Internet Security  (Read 3198 times)

Pindakaas

A few questions about Avast Internet Security
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:38:46 AM »
I have a few questions.

Does everything in Avast Internet Security work COMPLETELY with Windows 7 64-bit ?
I mean , the sandbox & firewall & safezone & and EVERYTHING in Avast IS.

Is the Avast firewall alone not able to protect your computer ?
And , i know the Avast firewall is compatible with the Windows firewall , but why ?
Why not just switch it off automaticly if Avast gets installed ?

It is only more recources on the computer if you run 2 firewalls.

Is Avast firewall not 100% a complete firewall ?

And if i turn off Windows firewall , and only have Avast firewall , am i still just as secured as when i have both the firewalls on ?
And if i am , then why does the Windows firewall not get switched off by the installation of Avast ?

And which firewall is better in protecting your computer , Avast firewall or Windows firewall ?

And why does Avast firewall only scores 15% on matousec ?
Is that because Avast firewall has no HIPS ?

And how does Avast composate with having no HIPS ?
The sandbox and network shield ?
Is that just as safe as for example Comodo with a HIPS ?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:42:58 AM by Pindakaas »

Offline VojtaN

• Avast team
  • No PM please
Re: A few questions about Avast Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
Hello,
 have a few questions.

Does everything in Avast Internet Security work COMPLETELY with Windows 7 64-bit ?
I mean , the sandbox & firewall & safezone & and EVERYTHING in Avast IS.
A: Yes, it does.

Is the Avast firewall alone not able to protect your computer ?
A: Avast Firewall is able to protect your computer together with other real time shields.

And , i know the Avast firewall is compatible with the Windows fire wall , but why ?
Why not just switch it off automaticly if Avast gets installed ?
A: Avast doesn't turn off another operating system components if it is not necessary.

It is only more recources on the computer if you run 2 firewalls.
A: Not really.

Is Avast firewall not 100% a complete firewall ?
A: It is compatible firewall. What it does is checking packets going through the network interface.

And if i turn off Windows firewall , and only have Avast firewall , am i still just as secured as when i have both the firewalls on ?
A: yes, you are if you run all the avast shields as well.

And if i am , then why does the Windows firewall not get switched off by the installation of Avast ?
A: see above.

And why does Avast firewall only scores 15% on matousec ?
A: as far as I know these tests are done only with avast firewall turned on and other avast shields are turned off. Avast Internet security must have everything turned on for reliable computer protection.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
VojtaQA, the topic is two and a half months old but aside from that the reason avast doesn't score well on matousec is matousec is only testing for hips which avast doesn't have so it is rather pointless for them to even test avast.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
VojtaQA, the topic is two and a half months old but aside from that the reason avast doesn't score well on matousec is matousec is only testing for hips which avast doesn't have so it is rather pointless for them to even test avast.

Craig, he's from the team, he can always revive any topic he likes. ;)
Anyway, I also see no reason in doing so here...
Maybe he's just working off some earlier requests..?? ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:08 PM »
I noticed the team member logo there, im treading lightly  ;D

mashak

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »
I forwarded the link to our Tech Support, as we are repeatedly asked some of these questions (especially on Facebook) and it's more efficient if we can direct people to a link that answers them, rather than repeat ourselves again and again.  ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
I forwarded the link to our Tech Support, as we are repeatedly asked some of these questions (especially on Facebook) and it's more efficient if we can direct people to a link that answers them, rather than repeat ourselves again and again.  ;)

Smart guys..!! :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »

Then maybe it should be part of the FAQs at http://support.avast.com/? Then you could link to the FAQs instead, which also answers many other very frequent questions (hence the name FAQ :) ).

mashak

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »

Then maybe it should be part of the FAQs at http://support.avast.com/? Then you could link to the FAQs instead, which also answers many other very frequent questions (hence the name FAQ :) ).

Yes, thanks :) but I'm not in Support. I only noticed that when I was about to direct someone to the forum for help, and before doing so quickly checked the forum for this topic, this was the only post that came up - and it was unanswered. I thus sent it to Tech Support to show them that it is a common question.

And with that, I've no more time to discuss this small matter. Questions are answered... the public awaits. ;)

mashak

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »

I'll recommend this to Support, as we see it asked often enough.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
Great thing if you add it. As to see its frequent questions that can be asked many times. ;)