Author Topic: Avast logs and reports  (Read 9935 times)

yarok

Avast logs and reports
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
Have Avast 5.0.507 on a Vista Home Premium system.

Went to ProgramData--->Avast5--->log and report subfolders.

Couldn't find the boot report/log and the scan report/log.

Am I looking in the right place?

Many TIA.

Y.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast logs and reports
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »
Have you done a boot-time scan ?
If not then there is no report generated. If you did then the information you seek is in the ProgramData\...\Avast5\report\aswboot.txt

The files scanned normally during windows boot aren't recorded in the same way as the scheduling of a boot-time scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yarok

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:11:39 PM »
Thank you for responding.

I cannot find aswboot.txt anywhere although I have re-booted quite a few times since I installed Avast.

(1) My Avast is set to scan for rootkits on boot and is granted raw disk access. Will the rootkits scan generate a log?

(2) Is this where the logs should be?

ProgramData--->Avast5--->log and report subfolders

(3) Are there any settings I should change?

Sam

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »
You 'haven't scheduled a boot-time scan, which is a specific scan and not what is done in the standard resident (on-access) scanning when windows is loading, so there is no associated scan log.

You didn't specifically ask about the anti-rootkit scan 'after boot' which is different again and that file is in the log folder aswAr.log.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yarok

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
At the risk of taxing your patience:

How do I schedule a boot-time scan?

How do I schedule or run an anti-rootkit scan 'after boot'?

I went through all the settings and failed to find the answer. Your help is much appreciated.

Y.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
Couldn't be simpler, a quick rummage through the avastUI would find it, Scan Computer, Boot-time Scan.

yarok

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
OOPS! Thanks. Over and out.

Y.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
You're welcome.

Surprising what you can find with a quick rummage through the UI. It is much easier in avast 5 UI to find things ;D

AndreBell

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:25:20 AM »
As far as log locations goes, they are not in c:\program files\...

They are in here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\report

Your path will vary depending upon your version of windows. In either case however you must have windows explorer set to view hidden files and folders. Otherwise this path will not show up to you.

I know this post is old but I see why some people can't find the path to the logs. So I felt compelled to explain that difference. I had to give it a second thought myself because I too initially went to c:\program files... until I re-read the comment a few posts up.

Thanks for the info. Your post made it possible to find the boot time logs I was having trouble finding without 'googling' for an answer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »
No one said they were in c:\program files\... ?

Have you done a boot-time scan ?
If not then there is no report generated. If you did then the information you seek is in the ProgramData\...\Avast5\report\aswboot.txt

The files scanned normally during windows boot aren't recorded in the same way as the scheduling of a boot-time scan.

The c:\programData\ folder is the Vista and win7 equivalent of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ and since the OP is using Vista I gave that path.

That said, why you would choose to respond to a topic over a year old is a mystery.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:38:31 PM by DavidR »

AndreBell

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
True.

Regardless of the time period, I wanted to help anyone else who came here from google (as I did) and also had trouble finding logs, as I did and as the original poster did.

In my case I ran bootime scan twice (1.5 terrabytes of wasted time) before searching google... and still couldn't find the logs. Only to find the logs are in a hidden folder  :P

Seeing how others may come here looking for the same solution and then just leave, not knowing they are looking in the wrong place (or are not familiart enough with pc's to conclude the folder might be hidden)...I posted the complete path [windows 7 at least] and explanation that they need to make the paths visible or else they will never see the folders.

Hopefully that small detail will help at least one googler who would have just left the page, not knowing the solution was staring them in the face.

thanks. Take care.

Andre

Went to ProgramData--->Avast5--->log and report subfolders.

Couldn't find the boot report/log and the scan report/log.

Am I looking in the right place?