Author Topic: which email service do you choose ?  (Read 17474 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: which email service do you choose ?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
Also wanted to throw this out there, ISP mail is good, except for when you move or change service providers.  Then you have to change email addresses, change logins for websites, update all sorts of information, let everyone know your new email address, etc.
yepp, that is why i gave up using ISP mail

i also used the same spam filter as @Dch48 "SpamFighter pro" (it is very good) but found out after i got Gmail i don`t need it any more...

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
Technically, I don't need my spam filter service either (spamarrest), but the way that I have my things setup it works pretty well.

I basically have all of my mail available to me on gmail's site, but only mail that I approve in my spamarrest settings get to my phone.  That way I don't have to keep getting stupid emails (not spam, just undesired at the time) on my phone all day, so I can concentrate on just work.  Then, if I want to check the rest of my mail, it's off to gmail.com for that.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

pcclean3453

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »
Outlook 03 and 2010 using exchange server. Wth gmail account and Windows Live Hotmail.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:29:45 PM by pcclean3453 »

Dch48

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 04:11:03 AM »
Also wanted to throw this out there, ISP mail is good, except for when you move or change service providers.  Then you have to change email addresses, change logins for websites, update all sorts of information, let everyone know your new email address, etc.

It's a big pain in the rear (I had to do it twice in a year, no fun).  If possible, use one of the free web-based email services for your primary email, or at least for websites that you subscribe to.

You don't have to worry about losing emails if your hard drive fails or laptop is stolen, etc.
I totally agree with this. I've been through that not only when I changed ISP's but when they got bought out and changed themselves. I first had Earthlink, which became Sprint, which then became Qwest if I remember right. I had to change every time.

I've never tried IMAP so I'd have to learn how to set it up. GMX does offer it and they will still be my primary provider.

Dch48

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »
Okay I tried IMAP and I hate it so I went back to good old POP3. Why do I hate IMAP? When I make an IMAP account in Outlook Express it creates a whole new folder for that account in the Folders list. I don't want that, I want all my mail to go into my main inbox no matter where it comes from. If I delete the folder, the whole account gets deleted and I have to create it over again. IMAP stinks.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 06:17:23 AM »
Okay I tried IMAP and I hate it so I went back to good old POP3. Why do I hate IMAP? When I make an IMAP account in Outlook Express it creates a whole new folder for that account in the Folders list. I don't want that, I want all my mail to go into my main inbox no matter where it comes from. If I delete the folder, the whole account gets deleted and I have to create it over again. IMAP stinks.

Lol, to each their own.  Creatures of habit I suppose.

The point is that IMAP supports MORE than just the inbox.  It might create a special folder or two, but at least you can organize your mail and synch it across multiple devices.

I'm definitely not saying you're wrong, just saying that if the conditions where right, you might swear by it.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »
I'm of exactly the same thought as Dch48, I used to use OE and to be honest it was excellent (but effectively no longer supported). I had one inbox and many filters, so I can organise my email based on who it was for (email account) or from, which was generally the content, e.g. newsletters, etc. They override other filters and once set up it is a walk in the park.

When I moved to thunderbird on my desktop system, that was how I set it up having imported my OE emails. However, when I installed it from scratch on my win7 netbook at first it was a right royal pain in the rear wanting to create an inbox for every account even for pop3 accounts.  Anyway I on my netbook I don't have it delete mail from the server upon collection, so I can download it on my main desktop system.

I never really figured out how to stop it from creating a new area for each account, but you can also select View, Folders, Unified.

My main email accounts are from my domain name so I never have to switch if I change ISP. I never liked gmails T&C and have never been a fan of webmail (HotnotMail killed that for me). I like to have my email under my control for all aspects including SPAM and Virus scanning and I regularly backup my emails to prevent total loss.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 10:53:34 PM »
My ISP is a large regional operation (southern Ontario and Quebec), and when they were bought out about 5 years ago they retained their old domains strictly for email purposes, everything else is under the new name.  So it's extremely unlikely I'll ever move far enough to have to change my email addy.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

DarkMasters

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
I use Gmail account for another websites or forum signup and as my trash/spam receiver. Windows Live account as my private email. Yahoo account for my business.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »
I use KPN (my provider) and Yahoo.
Too bad though that Yahoo devellopes things that are initally not working in Opera.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »
Gmail plus an excellent email service called FastMail. There is a small fee associated with it but well worth it in my opinion.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

roro

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
I use GMail and roadrunner.  I love the new phone service at the GMail site, and am using it for all my USA and Canadian calls to landlines and mobile phones since it is free. BTW, you need to download a 32 bit browser if you have a 64 bit machine for now as the player needed doesn't come in 64 bit yet.
 I had been using Magic Jack but found the reception much better on the GMail phone. 
I receive calls on my mobile phone, so I don't have to leave my computer connected, and also need the mobile phone for emergency numbers.
I use Skype for computer to computer calls outside of the USA. 8)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
I had been using Magic Jack but found the reception much better on the GMail phone.
I totally agree with you on this statement roro. It's also  much easier to use. :)
(I just renewed my Magic Jack for another 5 years ....  :'( )
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 02:55:11 PM »
Gmail phone service works great with Opera. :)

Gmail phone service is excellent speakerphone.

MagicJack sucks in speakerphone mode..

P.S. I'm back to avast! with AIS.

Doing good so far.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
P.S. I'm back to avast! with AIS.

Doing good so far.

OT: Does that means you've given up on MSE and ZoneAlarm 8)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip