Author Topic: How to set second mirror in SBC  (Read 11382 times)

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
How to set second mirror in SBC
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:15:43 AM »
Does any one know about the second mirror in SBC? or there is no this feature in SBC.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

wpn

Re: How to set second mirror in SBC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:20:56 AM »
since SBC aims at no more then 200 clients there is no feature of "stacking"
you can however install multiple servers and manage them with the webinterfaces from your own workstation

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:40:41 AM »
OK, thanks WPN.
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

pascal.g

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »
But if you do make 2 full install you need to configure all 2 time and replicate the rules ? It's not relay efficient.

Another way to make 2 or more mirror ?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
Can you please describe the use case in a bit more detail?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

pascal.g

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
Thks for the fast answer

In the network we have 2 mirror with the ADNM, to load balance the traffic or to make more HA if one fail.
The network have more than 200 user  >:(

And we want that the pc go to internet to make the update

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
The new mirror in SBC should actually be able to handle many more clients than the one in ADNM. In fact, if we're talking about a single location, there's absolutely no reason to bother with more than one mirror in SBC... the one will work just fine.

Thanks
Vlk

pascal.g

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »
thks for the info

wpn

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
@VLK  but the SBC product is aimed for 200 clients max.

Another scenario could be multi (sub)domain companies that are connected by an expensive vpn (lowspeed) link which should be strained as little as possible or not be strained with traffic during business hours that is not needed by company policy.

Headquarter
sub office in another building (and town)

The headquarter has the main datacenter with internet connection
The suboffice has no internet, only a VPN connection with the headquarter

In the suboffice there is a server which functions as a domaincontroller for a subdomain or as readonly domain controller and as file server. The VPN connection is only used for syncing the domain data from active directory and internet traffic for visiting websites during business hours.
Having the suboffice clients contact the SBC server (reporting/updating) in the headquarter is a strain on the vpn link or possibly against company policies, therefor a SBC server is placed in the suboffice to capture this traffic and have only the SBC "mirror" contact internet or the master SBC server.
And possibly the suboffice is only updated during evening/night time.

In ADNM this was possible because the scoop of the product was from 5 clients to thousands of clients with mirror servers, where SBC is aimed for max 200. And thus should not be needed to be mirrored for the load.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
With all respect, doesn't this sound somewhat hypothetical? I mean, how many clients like this have you had?

Also, the whole mirror thing I think was hot years ago, when business were connected to the Internet via slow lines. But now, with 10+ mbit connections available even for home use, does it really matter that much if the defs (which are typically < 200KB a day) were pulled directly from the Internet by each of the clients?

For a 100 client network, that's 20MB a day... does anyone care these days?

Thanks
Vlk

wpn

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »
well... actually i have sort of this setup :)

I have a remote office without internet connection and an RODC server there for when the connection drops so the users can continue to login.

except my VPN connection is fast enough (just 100Mbit tho) and unlimited in data and since im the one making the policies for IT i can decide what flows over it during day time....

But you have to agree with me that using hypothetical situations gives us users interesting undocumented information (the size of daily vps updates)  :) 

Bio

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
since SBC aims at no more then 200 clients there is no feature of "stacking"
you can however install multiple servers and manage them with the webinterfaces from your own workstation

Just for everyones help, the information I got directly from Avast support is that the new SBC is tested to work fine with 250 clients.

pascal.g

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
How many hour / day  can be the SBC down without problem for the client (rules or license) ?

wpn

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
standard the clients will contact an internet server for their updates if they cant find an SBC mirror.

So if you didnt change this setting then there shouldnt be a problem regarding updated definitions and engine versions.

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »
how if the customers use the WAN and have the business rules that all the branch can't went to internet and all the antivirus managed by HQ?

in avast 4.8 we can suggest the customer to create the mirror on the branch and branch client update from branch mirror,  and the branch mirror update from the HQ.

yes internet connection is fast in US or EU but in ASEAN(exclude Singapore) internet for high speed is expensive.