Author Topic: Windows XP startup loop  (Read 7349 times)

Philip Hainsworth

Windows XP startup loop
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
I have used avast for several years with no issues. Recently, my desktop running xp started to turn itself on and off by itself.

I formatted the drive and reinstalled windows. All OK until I installed avast. When I updated avast the computer got halfway through starting up and then went on a shutdown/restart loop.

I got over this by starting in safe mode. When I uninstalled avast, the problem went so it seems like an avast update/windows clash. I'd rather not move to another antivirus software so any ideas

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Windows XP startup loop
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
Which version did you try to install..??
Which SP are you on..??

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

rjcuk

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
Knowing which versions you have are quite important as Asyn asked.
Might also be useful to know if you have installed all Windows updates from Microsoft Update or not?
I've had known cases where installing too many things at once breaks the system. Install all the Windows updates first then install Avast afterwards, don't install anything in parallel, and reboot between batches of updates regularly.

Also exactly what is happening when you say reboot loop, do you get a Blue Screen error? I assume it shuts down during the Windows XP loading screen - this indicates that drivers are not correctly installed, that can be fixed.

Philip Hainsworth

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »
I think I know the issue. Initial problem was when I was running XP (routine updates) so latest service pack. Formatted drive and reinstalled windows - all OK. Loaded avast from usb stick v5 - all OK. Updated avast to v6 - startup loop problem again. Uninstalled avast - problem solved. Reloaded avast v5 but have NOT updated to v6 and still OK.

Updating XP at moment and installing SP2.

Run current avast v6 on my laptop but this is windows 7. Therefore I suspect it is a v/XP clash. As long as I stick to v5, may be OK as have run avast for several years on XP desktop. Happy with avast and would rather not change it.

What do think?

Philip Hainsworth

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »
Just to clarify loop issue. When windows starts up, gets part way through startup xp screen then the pc turns itself off and back on again. Switch off is always at the same point so restart is a continuous loop.

bobo1

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Hi
Which version of windows xp cd are you installing from. If it is sp1 cd you can download sp3 from microsoft web site, and bypass sp2 install via microsoft update within windows.
Loop starting fault to stop it as follows.
Go into safe mode by hitting f8 on computer starting.
right click my computer/properties/advanced/sys startup/debugging. Disable auto restart.
Reboot normaly.
You will more than likley get a blue screen error with a stop error code to view and see what it is!

Philip Hainsworth

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »
Hi,

Since my problem in June I've run my XP SP3 without any issues on Avast 5.1.889. I'm obviously getting reminders to upgrage Avast to current version but dare not in case the restart loop problem recurrs.

Does anyone know if this is now a know bug and has this been fixed in the latest Avast version?

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »
If you have at least SP2 (or better yet, SP3) before installing avast, then several bugs and conflicts were solved during avast 6.0.x.

I would recommend updating, and ONLY if that fails then simply uninstall using safe mode and run the removal utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility before installing anew avast latest stable version, currently at v6.0.1367.

If you have a paid - for license, back up before anything else, and review the chest, as it could be deleted (if uninstalling avast, the chest for sure will be deleted).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
1. you are posting in a topic over 6 months old and as such totally unrelated to the latest avast version 6.0.1367, which is very stable and I have no problems with it on this XP Pro SP3 system.

2. It is very hard to say as your system is likely to differ from other XP users systems, but by far the best option given that you experienced a problem before, is to do a clean install of the latest version see instructions here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=84558.msg687478#msg687478.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mac the Knife

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
I am using windows xp with sp 3, like yourself, I had never had a problem updating Avast until the last two versions, then for some reason my system booted very quickly with a quick BSOD screen and then into the loop mode. I have my system set to stop for a few seconds at the screen which gives you the option of safe mode, normal start up etc. I followed lots of the advice given about the removal tool and such like, but still couldn't get it to start. I was informed that using system restore was not a good idea but chose to ignore it as I didn't want to have to download my old version again if the update failed, I therefore decided to do a system restore just before updating the program. Had no joy initially, but then decided to get rid of the firewall I was using as it was about to become obsolete anyway. I was using Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall which has never ever had a problem with the update before. Anyway, I changed it to the Comodo firewall and then set a system restore point, I then updated Avast and lo and behold, no problem whatsoever. It appears that something in the last two updates caused a conflict of some sort with my old firewall, but never ever got to the problem of why that was. The thing is, that even though people say don't use a system restore point, I found that as long as I used it just before updating Avast that I could always go back to my old version with no problem, hence saving the bother of downloading it again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
Glad that it has worked out OK.

Me, I lost faith in system restore many, many years ago even before I started using avast (over seven and a half years ago) and I use hard disk imaging software with a weekly full back-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Philip Hainsworth

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »
Thanks for those comments.

The post from Mac the Knife was interesting as it produced the same problems as I experienced.

As my sytstem is now stable and the latest updates may still cause the clash, is there a case for staying on my current version of Avast? More specifically, will my current Avast version still have its virus database updated or does this stop when new versions of Avast are released?

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
will my current Avast version still have its virus database updated or does this stop when new versions of Avast are released?

The current definitions will work for all program versions 5.x and 6.x.

I still don't understand why you want to keep the older version. We already answered with our current suggestions, so it is up to you anyway.

Mac the Knife

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »
If you're anything like me then it will probably bug you that you can't update to the latest version and it may well be that you might have to in the future, so you might as well try now. Firstly, I would check your system to see if you've got any old versions of Avast on there, if you have then download the uninstal utility as mentioned previously, but before you use it set a restore point, then uninstal any old versions you might have, reboot your system and ensure the version you have is still running o.k., if it's not, just use safe mode and do a system restore, everything should then be back as it was before. So start up and just make sure. I would then try and update Avast from the program itself and see what happens, if it doesn't work out then go into safe mode again and click the same restore point as last time. Next, if you can, I would disable the firewall on start up and update Avast again and see what happens, if no good then restore again. Hope the mods don't slap my wrist for giving this advice, but system restore shouldn't cause any problem if it is used just prior to doing something, it should do what it says and restore you pc to how it was at the set point. Once the first restore point is done, as long as you go back each time, then you only need the one restore point for all the above actions. It might also be worthwhile setting Avast up fresh in your firewall on one of the tries. If you do get it sorted, be sure to let us know how you did it as it will help others in the future. Good Luck and Happy New Year.