Author Topic: Random computer freezes with Avast 6.0.1125  (Read 2345 times)

TMHKR

Random computer freezes with Avast 6.0.1125
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
OK, here's the whole story...

Last week, a thunder struck my computer, and fried the DSL and motherboard LAN ports (I'm using the wireless USB now). I reformatted and reinstalled Windows (and installed my usual drivers and software).

After that, I upgraded to Avast 6.0.1125 (the latest version). However, the computer started to freeze randomly, usually in the morning and the evening. Everything froze up, mouse and keyboard were not responding - only way to work again was to hit the Reset button on the PC case. I believe it happens just before (or during) the virus definitions update, but like I said, freezes are totally random.

Before that thunder strike, I was using Avast 6.0.1091 with no freezes at all. I thought then, maybe it's a hardware fault because of that lightning? I tested the CPU, RAM and graphics card with various burn-in tests, with no errors at all.

Yesterday, I reformatted and reinstalled Windows again, but this time I didn't install any Avast version. No freezes since then. Perhaps it has something to do with my new wireless adapter, and Avast's update settings?

Avast update settings:

Definitions: Auto update
Program: Manual update
Proxy: No proxy (direct connection)
My computer is permanently connected to the Internet: Enabled

My system:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
768 MB DDR RAM (3x 256 MB)
ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard (with latest VIA Hyperion Pro)
ATI Radeon 9700, 128 MB DDR (with Catalyst 8.12 and ATI Tray Tools)
2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 GB, PATA
ASUS DRW-1814BL DVD+/-R/RW DL, PATA
Thomson TG782i ADSL modem (T-Com branded)
AirLive WL-1600USB wireless USB adapter (using Windows to configure my connection)
400W power supply
Windows XP Pro SP3

If you need any additional information, I will provide it...

rjcuk

Re: Random computer freezes with Avast 6.0.1125
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »
I would guess that the files got corrupted when you updated... reinstalling Windows and formatting the disk may have cleaned up any bad sectors created due to the power surge - that, or, your disk is actually fried! (sorry) I'd recommend running a SMART scanner on your hard drive to check its health state, e.g. HDDScan - any yellow or red dots mean your hard drive is failing

If you install Avast to your newly installed Windows then it should be fine, if not, then you have data corruption on your disk, so next step is to run a Check Disk on your whole hard drive or replace it with your manufacturer.

Naeko

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
You probably should check your BIOS settings for bootup and you'll probably see something like "do quick check" or "do detailed check" when cold booting.  Most users have it default on "do quick check".  You will want to set it to "do detailed check" which takes longer when it cold boots.  If that turns up nothing, you might run a memory checker tool.

If you are going to look at the S.M.A.R.T. data from the hard drive, one free tool is SPECCY at http://www.piriform.com/speccy/ and if for some strange reason checkdsk doesn't run for you, there are various progs out there to do basic checks.  Defraggler has its own check and can be downloaded free at www.piriform.com .  When you run defraggler, go to the pulldown menu ACTION --> ADVANCED --> Check Drive For Errors

TMHKR

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
Guys, sorry for bothering you, but I've found out that Avast isn't the one that causes those freezes. Thunderstrike probably messed up the motherboard, it must be that. But thanks anyway.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Thanks for letting us know.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum