Author Topic: Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC} again..  (Read 5073 times)

SPiZ

Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC} again..
« on: October 21, 2004, 01:32:49 PM »
Lo..

I'm setting up a Battlefield Vietnam server and was about to get a tool for administering it. When i try to download one of the programs involved Avast scream about this virus.

"Infected" file:
http://www.bfcommandcontrol.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=5

Now I have naturally not downloaded the file and installed it, but it seems some programs get identified as viruses falsely, like here:

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterboulton/stubbie.htm

Not sure if the program I need use this installer but it's just an example. I seriously think Avast is in the wrong here. Could you perhaps tell me what this virus is supposed to do since I can't find any solid information about it anywhere?

/SPiZ

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC} again..
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 01:43:32 PM »
Are you using the VPS version 0443-0 or 0443-1?
If 0443-0, please update to 0443-1 and retry.
There were some false positives with the old one  ;)

Have you already tried on-line scanning that file?
The best things in life are free.

SPiZ

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 01:53:57 PM »
I'm using 0443-1. ;D

Online scanner works only on files smaller than 1 Mb (this file is larger). Why should I use the online scanner if my virus def. is up to date? Does it detect viruses not included "at home"?

Please note.. I'm not _SURE_ this program is free of viruses. Just seems odd that noone else have noticed it and it seems this virus is sometimes identified falsely.

I've posted a question on their messageboard to see what they have to say.

/SPiZ  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 02:04:31 PM »
Online scanner works only on files smaller than 1 Mb (this file is larger). Why should I use the online scanner if my virus def. is up to date? Does it detect viruses not included "at home"?

Are you sure you can't try Single File Online Antivirus Scan at: http://www.security-ops.tk/

The on-line scanning will use other method and definitions (signatures for viruses recognition) and the results could be different from avast.

SPiZ

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 02:45:00 PM »
No virus detected by online scan.

In fact Avast no longer alerts this as a virus when i try to download. It must have updated while I was writing these posts.

I'll get back if found again.

Cheers!
/SPiZ

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:49:26 PM »
Why should I use the online scanner if my virus def. is up to date? Does it detect viruses not included "at home"?
Just a general remark from me. There is no application that detects all malware. Although Avast is very good it can't (just like all the others) detect everything. When in doubt, always double check with other scanners. When it is just 1 or a few files you want to check I would say use JOTTI, if you want to scan many files, use at least two online scanners. (links to several of them can be found on the page in my signature)

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 02:27:32 AM »
I have so far only seen that symptom before with the anti-virus protection level  set to high. Thus it's probably a heuristics problem.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 02:28:15 AM by RJARRRPCGP »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 03:08:32 AM »
I have so far only seen that symptom before with the anti-virus protection level  set to high. Thus it's probably a heuristics problem.

No, I think not  :-\
Heuristics is only used in email scanning and not on file scanning  ;)