Author Topic: Reinstalled Avast! program and now it says, "not Secure" - help!!!  (Read 5132 times)

rsherman1

Hi --

I reinstalled Avast! free version just now because after installing the new version earlier today, it would not allow my definitions to be updated ("the package is broken").

I was advised to "repair", but it wouldn't let me for the same reason.

So I decided to deinstall, and reinstall. It reinstalled, but I still cannot get it to work properly - I get stuck on a loop of trying to start the program, or to FIX IT.  But nothing happens to move me along when I hit these buttons.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
Re: Reinstalled Avast! program and now it says, "not Secure" - help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:03:39 AM »
Did you use the avast! removal-tool to uninstall?
The best way to use it is in safe-mode!
BEFORE this, DEactivate the self-protection of avast!.
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

rsherman1

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:08:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply. :-)

I deinstalled using the regular Windows deinstall program.
How do I deactivate Avast's self-protection mechanism?

Once I go into safe-mode, what do I do there?

Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:14:49 AM »
You don't have to deactivate the self-defence module as avast doesn't run in safe mode. That is the reason for entering safe mode before running the avast uninstall utility.

Clean install sequence:
- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1125 and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:23:12 AM »
I deinstalled using the regular Windows deinstall program.
How do I deactivate Avast's self-protection mechanism?
You can deactivate it in the settings. I use the german version, because of this, I don't know, where the setting point exactly is in other versions. But look in the settings, you will find it. I'm sure.

Then deactivate the programm over the avast icon in the taskbar with rightclick (context menue).

Once I go into safe-mode, what do I do there?
Run the removal-tool in safe mode and change the version you want to uninstall, restart the PC after that.

Then install the newest version of avast! and after that reboot your PC.

Does it work now?

PS: Pondus posted the link to the uninstall utility (removal tool).

Edit:
David, you're to fast for me... ;)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:25:37 AM by ~SKY~ »
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

rsherman1

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:52:43 AM »
Thanks for your help everybody!

I followed your instructions and deinstalled in safe mode.  Then I rebooted, and reinstalled the latest version.  It installed and now is working as it should.

Much appreciate your help!

Cheers :-)

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:54:42 AM »
Glad to help you! ;D