Author Topic: Avast Free and MS Essentials  (Read 7864 times)

willofaustralia

Avast Free and MS Essentials
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
Hi I am new to this Forum,so here I go !
how do I stop Avast from bringing a pop-up showing that it has discovered files that may be malware or virus etc in looking at MS Essentials updates, I have tried the Sandbox but that does not seem to be the way___any help please

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Free and MS Essentials
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »
easy.....uninstall one program, as installing multiple AV will create all kind of mysterious windows errors and false positive detections

Never install two antivirus (see reply from quietman7)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=7c8217673a726b92cfc91ecfd4294a29&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
Having two resident anti-virus scanners installed is one too many and not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable. They will both have low level drivers to hook files so that they might be scanned before they are allowed to run, this is effectively like two dogs fighting over one bone, the file.

Not to mention much higher resource use due to duplication of scanning, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
Having the two programs competing with each other could actually increase your chances of becoming infected since they may stop each other from scanning effectively.

brownsfan019

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
Plus with the new Avast version, it no longer plays nice with SE. You'll have to chose one going forward now.

I recently reformatted 3 computers and all three created errors when using Avast and SE - where I used to be able to use both together.

DarkMasters

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
I always wonder of why people love to burden their computer by installing two or more antivirus with active protection...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:23:24 PM »
I always wonder of why people love to burden their computer by installing two or more antivirus with active protection...

Me too...! ;D
Quite funny, though.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
well i guess it sounds like a good idea....to double or tripple  ( dont think i have seen any with 3 yet  )  until you get it explained why not

hmmm... what if we could install VirusTotal .... but it would scaaaaaannnnn......sooooo...slooooowwwww

willofaustralia

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »
I am the OP,and quite frankly people on this site just cannot answer a simple request,please just answer my request,and that will suffice my simple requirements, I am not interested in the details regarding having 2 virus programs or even 10,I am a big boy now,so, unless you can answer my question for me, dont answer with banal info
Thanks to all  ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
Your question's were answered, you cannot stop the popups from appearing because two antiviruses should not be on the same system together, even with one of the av's disabled there is still the chance for conflict as low level drivers are still active and effectively you are weakining your security defences by having two av's on your system.
You came here for advice and good advice is what has been given so dont expect people to help you do something that is regarded as pure stupidity.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »
Your question's were answered, you cannot stop the popups from appearing because two antiviruses should not be on the same system together, even with one of the av's disabled there is still the chance for conflict as low level drivers are still active and effectively you are weakining your security defences by having two av's on your system.
You came here for advice and good advice is what has been given so dont expect people to help you do something that is regarded as pure stupidity.

+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »
Are we banal? I don't think so...
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
I am the OP,and quite frankly people on this site just cannot answer a simple request,please just answer my request,and that will suffice my simple requirements, I am not interested in the details regarding having 2 virus programs or even 10,I am a big boy now,so, unless you can answer my question for me, dont answer with banal info
Thanks to all  ;D
Although the suggestion to have only one active antivirus is adequate and pertinent, I think the OP wants a direct answer, even when he seems to have understood the suggestion.

@willofaustralia, if I understood correctly, what you need is to add an "exception" rule (path) to Avast. That means that Avast won't bother to scan the specific locations.

Open Avast GUI -> "Real Time Shields" -> "File System Shield" -> "Expert Settings" (middle-right of the GUI) -> "Exclusions" -> "Add" -> "Browse..."

Then select the path where the MSE databases are located (or whichever location is giving you problems and you want to "except"). Note that you can select a specific file, or group of files or folders using "*" or "*.*" and symbols alike. This should add the specific path to the "exception list". Click "OK" to close Avast GUI.

If this "exception" is not enough, then open Avast GUI -> "Settings" (the one at the upper section of the GUI) -> "Exclusions" -> and repeat the procedure to add here the selected path.

BUT, the suggestion to use only one active antivirus is still very much valid. I am just trying to give you the method you could try, eventhough I completely agree with the one-AV-only suggestion.

Please come back with feedback, whichever the result you get.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
What would have helped would have been the OP giving more information about the pop-up (file name, location, malware name, etc.) as that goes directly to context and what shield/scan was alerting.

It still doesn't change the fact that the ultimate cause is having two AVs installed and one probably finding the others unencrypted signatures, but this is all speculation as we have no information to work with.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security