Author Topic: Avast! 7 ?  (Read 24676 times)

coiotus

Avast! 7 ?
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
Somewhere in 2012 we can expect avast 7 ?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast! 7 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
OK   ;D

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:26:49 PM »

Why do you ask? Have you problems with version 6? ???
If version 6 makes a good job, why do you want 7?
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:29:41 PM »
avast! 7 is in the works for sure but its in a very early stage so don't expect it anytime soon. Besides, avast! 6.0 is very powerful already and quite frankly it doesn't really need a successor just yet.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
If I had to make a guess I would say that Avast 7 is being designed and programed in active communication with the appropriate MSFT Windows 8 developers.

Therefore it seems to me that we will see Avast 7 about the same time that we Windows 8 which I have read is now expected in the Fall of 2012.

If Avast does do a closely paralleled release of Avast 7 with Windows 8 then maybe an Avast 7 Beta will become available next spring or so.

That's how I would see it if I were to guess :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:34:13 PM by Nesivos »

coiotus

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »

Why do you ask? Have you problems with version 6? ???
If version 6 makes a good job, why do you want 7?

True, Avast 6 is very good and I'm happy with it
But I'm curious, how will version 7, I'm sure it will be better ...

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:12:49 PM »
I would think that it will be Windows 8 compatible.

I fully expect from all the preliminary news that there will be a lot of significant changes to Windows in Windows 8. 

Also I expect it be a 6GM RAM OS.  Can be run on 4GB but 6GB or 8GB will be the standard at least if you want to load and use all the bells and whistles coming with it.

I think it is a new design from the kernel up much like Visa vs compared to XP.

Windows 8 mystery: new 'Protogon' file system

Windows enthusiast Sandro Villinger has a nice summary of some of the known and unknown Windows 8 features that various folks have discovered since internal "milestone" builds began leaking over the past couple of months.

Villinger makes a passing mention of something I hadn't heard of in hisWindows 8 Top 10:  Something named (or codenamed) "Protogon."

From his May 31 IT World article:

"I've also dug up traces of some underlying file system changes that I couldn't quite make sense of, such as an entirely new file system driver called "NT Protogon FS driver" (Sony vgp-bps2b battery), which looks like a kernel mode driver for some sort of (yet unknown) file system called Protogon. It's unclear, whether this is a major new file system or just some minor subsystem."

I asked Rafael Rivera of "WithinWindows" fame as to whether he'd heard of Protogon

Cont. on link

http://technology.ezinemark.com/windows-8-mystery-new-039-protogon-039-file-system-18000e3ed40.html

ISTM that Avast 7 will be at least internally redesigned from Avast 6.

JMO

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 02:12:49 AM »
Avast! has already been tested with the latest build of Win 8, that is why Petr was in Redmond. And I predict that Avast! 7 Beta testing will start ( late ) in Q4 of this year, with a Release in Q1 of 2012 ;)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Nesivos

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »
Avast! has already been tested with the latest build of Win 8, that is why Petr was in Redmond. And I predict that Avast! 7 Beta testing will start ( late ) in Q4 of this year, with a Release in Q1 of 2012 ;)

Greetz, Red.

That is good news.  Look forward to 2012 :)

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 10:19:06 PM »
I hope it is better, I use AVG on my laptop, Avast on PC, AVG been running circles around Avast lately. I love the features of Avast, but lately it has not been detecting any of these bull **** fake scanners that popup all the time, and sure enough AVG does. I like both so don't think I'm ripping Avast, I would just love to see Avast get better at detecting.
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I can't agree on that exactly. AutoSandbox is triggered on pretty much all samples. I was just testing today without Network Shield and Web Shield and AutoSandbox was triggered on all samples except one. There were also fake AV's inside the batch.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »
I am trying to figure out how AVG is better than avast! Auto-sandbox has been a blessing which AVG lacks. When I had AVG I found that I kept getting all kinds of nasties, so much so I switched to a very solid avast! Due to past experience I will stick with avast! Thank you very much.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 12:15:02 AM »
So.....example are you guys running the exe file and then auto sandbox catching?
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »
Ok, I disabled comodo sandbox and turned avast on, i went to same malicious url and again avast missed it, however I ran the exe file (scary) and Avast sandbox did detect and ran inside the sandbox, also threatfire detected FYI. (And I should have known better than to mention AVG on here, God forbid anyone wants Avast to improve) Like I said I love Avast and it is still what I recommend to all my friends.

But avg is detecting scareware better upon initial arrival upon url. in my opinion, I'm glad sandbox stopped the file though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:26:07 AM by sooners2win »

coiotus

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »
Free Avast works very well with Comodo Firewall

A question ..
If you receive an offer free, Avast! Internet Security, AVG Internet Security and Avira Security Suite, whom would you choose?  ??? ???
 ;D ;D ;D

Avast! Internet Security  xD