Author Topic: restarting providers  (Read 5659 times)

jimn

restarting providers
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:50:42 PM »
Hi,
I have a problem with a certain feature at a site I subscribe to.
They report that all is well when they open a session as me, and have sent a screen shot to prove it.
So it looks like something at my end.

I got to where I needed to stop Avast! to see if it was a part of the problem.
I stopped the providers and "exited", tried my test, and it still failed. Mind you, the "Script blocker" message still came up but a prior issue here told me that that is just a "banner" and is to be repaired in some later version.

Anyway... when I went to re-start the providers I clicked on one and clicked on "Start". To my surprise ALL providers re-started!

While this was in fact helpful in the case I was in, I believe that this is counter-intuitive and can be problematic in other use cases.
I would rather see an option added so that I can TELL it to open them all or just the one that I have "started" by default.

Making things a little "smarter" is a good thing usually, but sometimes it goes overboard and I would say this is one such case.

cheers

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:restarting providers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:59:02 PM »
You could ofcourse have put this request in the WHISLIST ;)

jimn

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 04:43:00 PM »
I did that Eddy, just now (well, as easily as I could).

Thanks

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:18:42 PM »
Keep in mind you can simply remove any providers you're not likely to be using, via Add-Remove/Change -- I have no use for the Outlook or P2P providers, for instance.  They can be added back later if you ever do acquire a need for them, the same way.

It's rare that I'll want to shut down all providers, more typically I'll just pause the Standard shield for some operations.  But if I ever do shut-down-and-exit, I know that when I restart the providers, all of them (that are active for me) can be done in one step.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

jimn

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 04:35:01 PM »
"But if I ever do shut-down-and-exit, I know that when I restart the providers, all of them (that are active for me) can be done in one step. "

That doesn't make it "correct" as it is now!
When someone clicks Start for a provider then why would they think that it would start ALL providers??? It just doesn't make SENSE, even though, as I myself noted, it was convenient in my case.

You can't think of when you might want to shut down all providers... well I gave the case for when I did NEED to. You are a lucky person if you can always be sure that Avast! is never a potential problem in some OTHER part of the system.

A simple checkbox with something like "Start all providers" would make it clear to anyone and it would still let people start providers 1-by-1 if they felt a need to do so.

JimN

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 01:22:05 AM »
Jimn, you're right but this does not give you the right to be rude  ;D
Please, this is not the 'atmosphere' of these forums. Please, do not start using CAPS as you're not speaking loudly with all the other users.
You already posted this in the wishlist. Maybe there is any technical limitation and the text of the menus must change.  8)
The best things in life are free.

jimn

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 02:19:59 AM »
Hmmm, I didn't realize that using CAPS for specific words was "rude". I thought I was (and indeed I was) using them on specific words for emphasis. Emphasis, in this case, to make my point clearer.

In any case I will try to be much more careful in my use of CAPS in future.

If there is some other content, other than the CAPS, that was "rude", please let me know what it is. There is no way (I would normally have put the words 'no way' in CAPS for emphasis) that I had any (I would normally put the word 'any' in CAPS) intention to be rude.

Thank you Technical

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 03:50:26 AM »
If there is some other content, other than the CAPS, that was "rude", please let me know what it is.

There is not... It's just the protocol. But, going back to your problem, again, I think you're correct. Alwil team should change the text or change the behavior of the commands. I prefer the second way  ;)
The best things in life are free.