Author Topic: Possible to install and uninstall Avast shields without a complete reinstallion?  (Read 4737 times)

Sode no Shirayuki

Hi,

Is it possible to install and uninstall Avast shields without performing a complete reinstallation of Avast? 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Hi,

Is it possible to install and uninstall Avast shields without performing a complete reinstallation of Avast?  
Yes it is possible, go to add remove programs or programs and features and double click on avast as if you were going to uninstall then click change and tick or untick and shield you want to change then click ok.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:23:50 AM by craigb »

ady4um

If you just want to deactivate some shields, you can do it from Avast GUI:

Open Avast GUI -> select the unwanted shield -> press "STOP";

Then go to the general settings (upper part of the GUI) -> Status Bar -> UNcheck the shields you don't want to be monitored by the Avast Tray Icon (so to avoid the warning that the specific deactivated shield is inactive).

Otherwise, maybe like this? :
Control Panel -> "Add/Remove Programs" -> Avast -> change -> UNselect the shields you don't want -> reboot.
That should leave Avast while it should "completely" uninstall the unwanted shields.

Sode no Shirayuki

Would it be better if I start Windows in safe mode before uninstalling Avast shields? The reason I ask is because the download link for the Avast Uninstall Utility says to run it in safe mode. I wonder if it isn't the same?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:07:39 AM by Sode no Shirayuki »

ady4um

Should I start Windows in safe mode before uninstalling shields? The reason I ask is because the Avast Uninstall Utility says to run it in safe mode. I wonder if it isn't the same?

If you are talking about the download-able utility to completely clean uninstall Avast, that's for a different purpose.

If you just want "uninstall" or "deactivate" some shields but leave the rest of Avast working, both methods I described are supposed to help you (whichever you think is more suitable for your goal).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Would it be better if I start Windows in safe mode before uninstalling Avast shields? The reason I ask is because the download link for the Avast Uninstall Utility says to run it in safe mode. I wonder if it isn't the same?
No need to be in safe mode for uninstalling shields, safe mode is only required if you have problem with uninstalling avast.

Sode no Shirayuki

Okay, thanks for the responses. That was all I wanted to ask.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Your welcome  :)